FORUMS: list search recent posts

Component Output 180º out on Capture

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Parker
Component Output 180º out on Capture
on Sep 30, 2008 at 7:58:13 pm

Using Final Cut 6.0.4 with an AJA Kona LHe. Just upgraded the AJA software to 6.0.1. Now my component output that feeds my Panasonic Plasma is 180 degrees out of phase. Looks fine when I'm playing stuff back off the timeline. It's only out of phase on the capture. What preset did the software change that I need to look at. My analog component on the AJA is set to Component (RGB). The SMPTE setting makes it all green.

This is a Mac Pro Intel. OS 10.4.11.

Thanks.

Geo

Geo

Return to posts index

George Parker
Re: Component Output 180º out on Capture
on Sep 30, 2008 at 8:11:07 pm

I forgot to mention that I'm capturing 1080psf 23.98.

Geo

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2008 at 8:23:52 pm

What easy setup are you using?

Return to posts index

George Parker
on Sep 30, 2008 at 8:32:11 pm

Hey, Jeremy.

I'm not using any Easy Setup, per se. My playpack is set to 1080psf 23.98 and my capture is the same with Pro Res as my codec.

Geo

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2008 at 8:48:42 pm

[George Parker] "I'm not using any Easy Setup, per se. My playpack is set to 1080psf 23.98 and my capture is the same with Pro Res as my codec. "

You should be. What's your source? What does your Kona control apanel say about the format that is coming in?

Return to posts index

George Parker
on Sep 30, 2008 at 9:08:14 pm

Jeremy.

HDcam 23.98psf is the source and the Kona says input is 1080sf 23.98. Maybe I should qualify that though I'm not using an Easy Setup I am using the AJA Kona LHe Apple Pro Res 1080psf 23.98 capture preset. Playback, again, is set to 1080sf 23.98.

Geo

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2008 at 9:10:34 pm

To what monitor? Perahps your monitor does not accept 23.98. Change the video output to 29.97 and the KOna will add pulldown and your monitor will be happy.

Return to posts index

George Parker
on Sep 30, 2008 at 9:42:20 pm

Jeremy.

It's a Panasonic Plasma HD TH-42PS9UK or XK, not sure which. No, the 29.97 just makes it play fast and still out of phase. It plays the 23.98 off the timeline with the playback set at 23.98 just fine, just not when in capture mode with this new software. It was doing it at 23.98 in phase before I upgraded the KONA LHe software so I'm thinking there's a default preset that kicked in when I did the install.

Geo

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2008 at 10:04:13 pm

You should really use an easy setup.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

George Parker
on Oct 1, 2008 at 3:11:02 pm

Jeremy.

I wish it was that "easy". I've tried all of the Easy Setups for HD 23.98psf. I think this is a KONA LHe issue. The color is correct on my plasma when playing back the captured clip on the timeline. But when 'when' capturing flesh colors are blue, greens are brown, etc. on the plasma. This is a 23.98psf only problem. When I capture SD my color is fine.

Geo

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 1, 2008 at 4:25:31 pm

[George Parker] "But when 'when' capturing flesh colors are blue, greens are brown, etc. on the plasma"

so what do color bars via the kona Control panel look like?
if they are not correct - the plasma is connected incorrectly.

take everything out of the loop first -
if using component
the KONA Control Panel / ANALOG OUT setting should be set on SMPTE EBU/N10 for video NOT RGB.

All of your prefs were TRASHED when you installed the new software - you had something set up somewhere that is not standardized with other displays.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

George Parker
on Oct 2, 2008 at 11:12:33 am

Hey, Gary.

Color bars are fine. Everything is fine off the timeline and everything except footage that is 23.98 that is being captured is fine. If I put the analog out into SMPTE everything is green. It's not a huge deal, ultimately, since it's fine once it's on the timeline. More curious than anything.

Geo

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 2, 2008 at 1:20:50 pm

Is your monitor set to input RGB? It should be SMPTE if it is.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 1, 2008 at 4:35:05 pm

[George Parker] "I wish it was that "easy""

:) You know, I remember something funyn about 23.98 captures and the Lhe. let me see what I can dig up. I thought it had to do with adding pulldown, but maybe not.

[George Parker] " But when 'when' capturing flesh colors are blue, greens are brown, etc. on the plasma."

This is in RGB mode? or SMPTE?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Oct 1, 2008 at 4:25:17 pm

[George Parker] " My analog component on the AJA is set to Component (RGB)."

What happens when you set that to YUV?

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

George Parker
on Oct 17, 2008 at 5:46:32 pm

OK. True once I changed my monitor to "component" instead of RGB then the SMPTE EBU/N10 setting on the AJA worked for everything except the same problem on 1080 23.98psf capture. So, I will query the folks at AJA. However, the last time a sent an email to support through their web support contact I heard nothing back.

Geo

Return to posts index

Slika Ton
Re: Component Output 180º out on Capture / same here...
on Oct 16, 2008 at 7:56:49 pm

Hi George,

I just want to confirm that I'm having the same issue as you do. The only difference is I'm in Europe so I used the ProRes 25fps easy setup. And, yes, I did use an easy setup without changing anything. The image on MacPro screen is fine during capture, only component analog pass-thru on LHe gets shifted. Captured file is fine. I just cross the component cables on patch-bay during the capture as a workaround...

Slika & Ton

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 16, 2008 at 8:12:31 pm

After capture, do you then swap the cables back? If this is so, I'd call AJA.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Slika Ton
on Oct 16, 2008 at 11:07:06 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for asking, I do swap the cables back after the capture.

To tell you the truth, I'm from Serbia and swapping faulty card would be like 6 months endeavor here, so I just watch the vtr directly while capturing or go on a coffee-break.

I'm going to look at the captured material for couple of days during editing anyway so I don't really need to babysit it during the capture. And captured files are perfectly fine. It may be just ProRes HD thing as I never had the issue with SD.

Slika&Ton

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 16, 2008 at 11:11:30 pm

At the very least, email AJA and tell them of your problem. Perhaps it's something that can be fixed in software.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Slika Ton
on Oct 16, 2008 at 11:19:35 pm

You are right, I should ask them about it by email... that is easy even from here...

Thank You

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]