FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO50 30p output trouble

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
DVCPRO50 30p output trouble
on Sep 22, 2008 at 7:20:05 pm

I'm having trouble with a DVCPRO50 30p project. The footage was shot on an HVX. The clips and the timeline are all set to a field dominance of "none" but the Kona LHe output via SDI is badly aliased. In the Kona control panel there only 525i options (nothing for 525p). Is this normal? The canvas and the viewer both display great looking video. How can I get the Kona to ouput the same? I'm viewing the output on a BT-LH1700W. I am running an older version of FCP and Kona driver. Is that a problem?

Thanks!

FCP 5.1.4 on OSX 10.4.11. 2.66 Mac Pro, 8 gigs of RAM, Kona Lhe card. Kona driver 3.4.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: DVCPRO50 30p output trouble
on Sep 22, 2008 at 7:50:28 pm

Jason,

As I said on the FCP forum, I have run your footage through the AJA ioHD and a Kona and it looks like progressive video to me (actually it's psf video to be technical).

As long as your field dominance matches your seq. field dominance, you should be fine.

Also, remember you are playing back SD footage on an HD monitor. That could account for some image degradation as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2008 at 8:06:45 pm

Just a thought, turn your rt playback to 'High' in your sequence from the rt drop down menu.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 22, 2008 at 8:22:29 pm

Just tried... no difference. Thanks so much for your help, BTW!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2008 at 8:28:13 pm

The only way I can get the footage to alias is to turn my rt settings to medium. I have played it out on an SD monitor and an HD monitor using both the ioHD and a Kona3 (with version 6 drivers and FCS2, which is different from your setup).

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 22, 2008 at 8:33:33 pm

What is your video format setting in the Kona Control Panel?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2008 at 8:42:26 pm

525i29.97.

I selected the AJA kona 8 bit to dv50 easy setup, and made a new sequence. I changed the clips field order to 'none' and droppped it in the timeline, then with the timeline selected, I hit command-0 to bring up the seq. settings and changed the field dom to 'none' there as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 22, 2008 at 10:56:27 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I selected the AJA kona 8 bit to dv50 easy setup, and made a new sequence. I changed the clips field order to 'none' and droppped it in the timeline, then with the timeline selected, I hit command-0 to bring up the seq. settings and changed the field dom to 'none' there as well."

I just repeated this. When I changed the sequence field dominance to "none" it made an immediate improvement in the FCP canvas but none whatsoever in the Kona SDI output.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 22, 2008 at 8:43:10 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "The only way I can get the footage to alias is to turn my rt settings to medium."

The aliasing does get worse when I go to the "medium" setting, but "high" doesn't make it go away.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 22, 2008 at 8:19:57 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "As long as your field dominance matches your seq. field dominance, you should be fine."

I should be fine, but instead I'm horrified the aliasing I am seeing. I haven't seen anything similar in all the 720p 24 stuff that I have shot. The odd thing is that the output remains the same from the Kona (aliased) no matter what my field dominance settings are. The only thing that changes is the quality in the viewer and canvas.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Also, remember you are playing back SD footage on an HD monitor. That could account for some image degradation as well."

The Panny monitors do a great job, IMO, of display both SD and HD and I have a good grasp of what it should look like.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Sep 22, 2008 at 9:45:21 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "The Panny monitors do a great job, IMO, of display both SD and HD and I have a good grasp of what it should look like.
"

Not on the Panasonic monitors that we have - BT-LH1700W and BT-LH2600W.

SD video looks really degraded on these monitors but plays just fine on an SD monitor... So... You might want to check your signal on an SD monitor and see what it looks like.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 22, 2008 at 10:21:34 pm

I checked it out on a CRT and it looks the same. I've spent many hours in front of both the BT-LH1700W and the BT-LH2600W with SD material and I've never had a reason to be dissatisfied with them. They are easier on my eyes than a CRT as well.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2008 at 10:25:18 pm

Is it only this shot?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 22, 2008 at 10:46:21 pm

No, I've got an hour or so of this 30p footage that will end up as six 30 second ads. The aliasing isn't so noticeable in all the footage, but in some shots, like this one, it's not pretty.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 23, 2008 at 7:38:30 pm

After spending 2 plus days on this "problem" the only conclusion I can come to is that DVCPRO50 30p is, by it's very nature, going to have UGLY aliasing in some scenes. On with the edit! Thanks much to Jeremy and Wayne who took time to help out. You guys put the "MOO" in the cow!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 23, 2008 at 8:47:25 pm

I haven't had time to look this up, but there a thin and thick setting in the camera that you might want to check out. Sorry for leaving this so open ended, but when I get a chance I will look up the correct settings.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]