FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe => PAL TV

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jussi Buckbee
Kona LHe => PAL TV
on Sep 21, 2008 at 11:10:10 am

Hi all,

My question is: How do I get a signal to my regular tv display from LHe? I'd like to monitor PAL signal as well. Can/Should I get it out from the SDI primary/secondary outputs?

My setup is: AJA compatible Intel MacPro and FCSP 2. I have a SONY PVM20L2 videomonitor and I have set it up with the component cables from LHe. And 'yes', I have the breakout cables ;)

jb from Finland

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona LHe => PAL TV
on Sep 21, 2008 at 11:25:34 am

[Jussi Buckbee] "My setup is: AJA compatible Intel MacPro and FCSP 2. I have a SONY PVM20L2 videomonitor and I have set it up with the component cables from LHe. And 'yes', I have the breakout cables ;) "

Then you're all set up. What are you not seeing?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Jussi Buckbee
on Sep 21, 2008 at 11:33:17 am

Hi there Walter,

My trusty Sony 21" tv is blank as in black as in no signal from
Kona. I must have wrong cabling or something. Let me rephrase
my question: How would you set up your system to output to your
NTSC TV?

Nice work on that Color DVD, by the way. jb

JBuckbee - Finland - PAL

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 21, 2008 at 11:36:22 am

[Jussi Buckbee] "How would you set up your system to output to your
NTSC TV? "

Final Cut Pro > Easy Setup > AJA Kona 3 8bit Uncompressed 525

That's the easy setup for NTSC SD 8bit Uncompressed. You would just select the corresponding PAL SD setup, which we use here as well.

If you don't see a signal from the Kona, then your connections on the monitor might not be correct or you're looking at the wrong input on the monitor.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jussi Buckbee
on Sep 21, 2008 at 11:44:18 am

Right, so my setup is just dandy. I get a nice signal to my videomonitor, so everything is working just fine. So, cabling, where and what? Do I get the signal TO my TV from the SDI output of the card? Do I need to convert it into something else before I can drive it into my PAL TV? I've tried that and it ain't-a-working. SDI from card => scart => TV. I used to get a signal out to my TV with AJA I/O via s-video/scart, but AJA I/O is history for me now-a-days. jb

JBuckbee - Finland - PAL

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 21, 2008 at 11:52:38 am

[Jussi Buckbee] "Right, so my setup is just dandy. I get a nice signal to my videomonitor, so everything is working just fine. So, cabling, where and what? Do I get the signal TO my TV from the SDI output of the card?"

SDI only works if you have an SDI input on your monitor and that is generally an optional board on that particular model.

I thought you said you had Component connected to the monitor? That's what I would use. Again, make sure you have the correct input selected on that monitor to see the signal.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jussi Buckbee
on Sep 21, 2008 at 11:58:18 am

Thanks for your comments Walter. One more for the road, and I'll
leave you in peace. I want to look at two outputs, videomonitor (component)
and a TV (PAL). How do I get the signal from Kona LHe onto the TV, i.e.
how do I cable it and from what output in the card do I get it from?

Thanks for your trouble...jb

JBuckbee - Finland - PAL

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 21, 2008 at 12:40:22 pm

[Jussi Buckbee] "I want to look at two outputs, videomonitor (component)
and a TV (PAL)."

If the TV does not have Component input, you can't. The LHe outputs either a Component or a Composite signal, it does not do both simultaneously since it uses the Y output to send out a composite signal.

So your only option would be to send a composite signal out of the LHe to the Sony and then loop from that to the TV. The Io actually would be better suited to what you're trying to do since it can output Component, Composite and S-Video simultaneously.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jussi Buckbee
on Sep 21, 2008 at 12:48:37 pm

That is correct. The I/O would be nice, but then again, I wouldn't be able
to output Color to my videomonitor and that is another story. Thanks for
your advise. I appreciate it very much. Cheers...jb

JBuckbee - Finland - PAL

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 21, 2008 at 3:34:15 pm

Hi Jussi -
it is common for people to want BOTH a composite and a component monitor output at the same time. Many of my clients want this, from the AJA Kona LHe. This is how to do it.

Buy the AJA D4E. This is about $225 US, and will convert one of the AJA Kona LHe SDI outputs to composite video. This is the least expensive way for you to have BOTH composite and component out at the same time.

I have read thru this thread. It is my opinion that you should spend time just looking at the AJA Control Panel application, and you should play with all of the menus and selections in the AJA Control Panel. This will help you in the future when you need to see HD, or downconvert to SD.. The Analog output tab will let you select between composite and component in the AJA Control panel.

And now, a question for you - is Nightwish very popular in Finland ?

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jussi Buckbee
on Sep 21, 2008 at 9:22:29 pm

Hi there Bob,

Thanks for you reply. THat's how I had it set up whilst I was renting a chair from a local post facility here in Finland. Not with AJA D4E, but something like it. And yes, that's probably what I'll have to do in this case. I just moved my gear home - I live in the country, ca. 25 mls from the capitol Helsinki - and am starting to put things together here.

Nightwish is very popular here, and as you probably know, they're from Finlandos. So anytime you want to come over and see them play locally, let me know and we'll do the town.

We also have a local act - The Rasmus - that just put out a new album... Desmond Child produced it, if that means anything to you. High hopes for them, too.

Cheers...jb.

JBuckbee - Finland - PAL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]