FORUMS: list search recent posts

film grain reduction

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Joyce
film grain reduction
on Sep 18, 2008 at 3:59:45 am

I getting about 12 hrs. of 16mm film transfers to HD 1080p ProRes HQ files. They look great and play fine but are grainy so I need to do film grain reduction on them.
I've used Grain Surgery for 16mm film grain reduction on a G4 under Tiger and been very happy with the results. (it rendered at ~3 sec per frame for NTSC) However it is very slow and doesn't seem to work at all in my new dual 8 core 3.2mhz Mac running Panther. The company also seems to be out of business.
Is there any good quality film grain reduction plugins that might use the Kona3 to speed up what will likely be very long HD renders? Any advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
Re: film grain reduction
on Sep 18, 2008 at 7:53:16 am

I've seen a great new thing from Bitvice on the IBC called Video Purifier. It's not out yet I believe but it will be soon.

Kool En De Anderen
MAC Pro 8 core/OS 10.5.4/Kona LHe/Apple FCS 2/Adobe PPCS3/Huge fibrechannel
http://www.koolendeanderen.nl

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: film grain reduction
on Sep 18, 2008 at 4:18:59 pm

don't hate the grain, keep it! :)

I really love grain, but to each his own. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
film grain reduction use After Effects & a Photoshop plug in?
on Sep 18, 2008 at 10:15:47 pm

Is it practical to do long form film grain reduction in After Effects insead? Guess I'd need to export image sequences? Then could I use some of the better grain reduction plug ins for Photoshop? Or do I need an After Effects plugin? Will Kona 3 accellerate any of this? Not sure the render time with this approach but might it be a few seconds per frame on my system? lots of questions, sorry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]