FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD downconvert to SD when digitize

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Smith
HD downconvert to SD when digitize
on Sep 17, 2008 at 8:11:38 pm

Is it possible to downconvert HD footage to SD when digitizing in FCP using the Kona 3 (4.0)? If so, what is the recommended workflow. We are needing to be able to digitize some of our HD footage shot in HDV and XDCAM HD to SD for certain projects. We have successfully down converted footage using Kona going from workstation to workstation, but I cant seem to get the footage digitized from a deck using the same workflow.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: HD downconvert to SD when digitize
on Sep 17, 2008 at 10:14:33 pm

Set FCP to the SD format you want.

Set the Kona to so that the Primary format is the HD format and the Secondary is the SD format you want to convert to.

Now when you switch to FCP, you should see the Kona Control Panel automatically switch to SD on the Input. If not, you can manually override this in the Kona Control Panel to the SD format.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 18, 2008 at 12:17:13 am

[walter biscardi] "Set the Kona to so that the Primary format is the HD format and the Secondary is the SD format you want to convert to. "

Actually, It's the other way around. Primary format should be set to SD (as it's what you want the frame buffer to be) and the secondary format should match your HD format. It's opposite of a down convert on the way out.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Sep 17, 2008 at 10:42:10 pm

I'm sure what Walter reccomends will work fine for you, but in the past whenever I've needed to capture SD footage from an HD source I've just taken patched the down-converted SDI output of my deck to the Kona SDI input and let the deck take care of the conversion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]