FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Editing with Kona3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Weiss
HD Editing with Kona3
on Sep 16, 2008 at 9:05:05 pm

We are doing a project on Mac Pros with kona3 and fcp 6 (latest seed). The source footage, is 3D and After effects generated and we want to edit a 1080i project. What is the best codec to render from AE and what setup should we do in FCP. We want playback without rendering. Keep in mind that we are using PCs and macs in our system so apple pro res may not be an option as we can't render this from the PCs (to my knowledge anyway). Please help! This is really one of the first HD projects we have done at my company.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HD Editing with Kona3
on Sep 16, 2008 at 11:18:20 pm

[Warren Eig] "Apple released a ProRes Codec for windows. "

Keep in mind that this is a decompressor only, not a compressor. You can read ProRes files on Windows but can't write to it quite yet.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 16, 2008 at 9:32:25 pm

[Josh Weiss] "What is the best codec to render from AE and what setup should we do in FCP. We want playback without rendering."

You will have to render in After Effects in the exact same codec you plan to edit in if you don't want to render. Any other codec will require rendering before final output.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Sep 16, 2008 at 9:39:16 pm

I'm pretty sure that you can install the 8 and 10 bit uncompressed codecs on a PC, but if you're working HD you'll need an array that can sustain 150 MB/sec for uncompressed. ProRes will definitely save you on throughput. We have a similar situation here where our 3D team works all on PCs in Maya/Fusion/After Effects and feeds our Final Cut/Kona 3 edit rooms. I have a suggestion to forget about having the PCs trying to render to a specific codec at all. What I would recommend is having your artists on PCs output an image sequence for you at 1080psf 23.976 or 29.97 depending on the frame rate of your finish. We usually work with .iffs. Then just bring that image sequence into AE on your MAC and render it out to whatever codec you need. So if you want to work in ProRes, you'll render to that codec and then just drop it right into your pro res final cut timeline.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Sep 16, 2008 at 10:59:31 pm

[Mike Zimbard] "What I would recommend is having your artists on PCs output an image sequence for you at 1080psf 23.976 or 29.97 depending on the frame rate of your finish. We usually work with .iffs. Then just bring that image sequence into AE on your MAC and render it out to whatever codec you need. So if you want to work in ProRes, you'll render to that codec and then just drop it right into your pro res final cut timeline."

thats what we do as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]