FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live HD Preview During Capture Gone

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher S. Johnson
Live HD Preview During Capture Gone
on Sep 12, 2008 at 5:44:24 pm

Hi,

I've been using the Kona LHe for a while now. I have been capturing and editing HD 23.98, but with an SD monitor connected via S-Video. Obviously the system adds pulldown and does a nice downconvert to SD. It has been great.

Yesterday I hooked up a Sony CRT Prosumer HDTV via component and calibrated bars. The 23.98 Sequence and clips in the Viewer play flawlessly, but I no longer get live preview during Log and Capture. I checked and rechecked the FCP6 output settings (1080i 10bit) and the Kona LHe settings (1080i 10bit).

Is live preview only available for Log and Capture when downconverting, or via S-video and not component? This doesnt make sense to me.

-Christopher

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
Re: Live HD Preview During Capture Gone
on Sep 12, 2008 at 8:57:59 pm

I've experimented further and have come to believe that it is impossible of the Kona LHeand FCP6 to do a live preview from HD 23.98 to HD 29.97 while capturing. Only playback from the Viewer or Canvas.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2008 at 10:42:31 pm

Your tv must not accept 1080 23.98.

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
on Sep 14, 2008 at 12:45:19 am

Thats right. Its a 1080i prosumer Sony CRT. Has awesome dynamic range.

But if that was the issue, then why do I get to view the downrezzed live preview video during capture with the added pulldown? That seems like even more work for the card.

The AJA Control Panel confirms that it can only show either 23.98 HD or 29.97 SD downconvert during Log and Capture. Is this not an issue for Kona 3 or Io-HD?

Its a luxury thing, you know. The producer is the one who is most disappointed about this. They cant watch a nice image during ingest.

-Christopher S. Johnson

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 14, 2008 at 12:59:02 am

[Christopher S. Johnson] "Is this not an issue for Kona 3 or Io-HD? "

Not sure, I'd have to check that out. My feeling is that while the card is inputting and passing through video, it cannot also add the the pulldown in HD as the frame buffer is running in 23.98. I would suspect it has something to do with how the pulldown gets triggered on the card, but I don't know for sure. Why can it diplay SD? It must me a different/separate process than adding pulldown in Hd while it's capturing 23.98.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
on Sep 14, 2008 at 2:00:23 am

OK, thanks. I'll just have to tell my producer to wait until I finish or we can stop the capture process and check the clips on a case by case basis.

-Christopher S. Johnson

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 14, 2008 at 5:45:09 am

[Christopher S. Johnson] "Yesterday I hooked up a Sony CRT Prosumer HDTV via component and calibrated bars. The 23.98 Sequence and clips in the Viewer play flawlessly, but I no longer get live preview during Log and Capture.... Is live preview only available for Log and Capture when downconverting, or via S-video and not component? This doesnt make sense to me. "

No.
the Cards do not have the ability to handle the pulldown addition in HD if the file is not being handled or cached in the frame buffer on the card prior to playback.

The Downconversion process is a separate subset of the coding and since SD is always 29.97 that conversion happens in a completely separate process than what is being done during capture.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
on Sep 14, 2008 at 6:13:40 am

Oh well, it's a luxury I guess. Looks great after capture. F900 footage from India! I'm salivating.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]