FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Downconversion Improved in FS-1 or HD10MD3 over LHe?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Wild
Is Downconversion Improved in FS-1 or HD10MD3 over LHe?
on Sep 6, 2008 at 9:04:46 pm

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these. We are just not getting great downconverted results using Final Cut Pro and outputting realtime via component outs to SD formate. We've always had interlacing and field issues, not to mention that the quality doesn't look that hot.

So, I'm thinking of getting either an FS-1 or HD10MD3 for downconverting. Does anyone have any opinions on either of these? Is there a quality difference between the 2?

Any opining would be appreciated!

Kevin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Is Downconversion Improved in FS-1 or HD10MD3 over LHe?
on Sep 7, 2008 at 3:01:53 pm

looking to save money - get the HD10MD3. ideas at Disney has been using this FOR YEARS to release to Disney channel and ABC network, and no one is rejecting anything. Is the FS-1 a great investment - absolutely. Can you save money by just buying the HD10MD3. Absolutely.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Sep 8, 2008 at 3:52:22 pm

Thanks, Bob.

So there is no quality difference that you know of between the two?

I guess I'll try the 10MD3 and see if having to change the settings on the box occasionally isn't too inconvenient. That does seem to be the drawback from this box versus the larger FS-1.

Thanks.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 8, 2008 at 8:01:59 pm

Inconvenience vs. $2000 - lets see, which will win out ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Sep 8, 2008 at 8:22:04 pm

Hey, I asked if there was a quality difference between them.

I'm assuming not and I ordered the HD10MD3 from B&H today. :-) Hope it does well for us. I have not been that impressed by the LHe's internal downconversion. I hope this is better.

Thanks!

Kevin

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Sep 10, 2008 at 12:35:07 am

By the way...thanks a bunch, AJA. I spend $1100 on a converter and have it shipped overnight only to find out that the "power supply is sold separately." WTF? What a waste of time and money that overnight shipment was. Why would you sell something that cannot be turned on without an additional purchase?

Sheesh...rant over. They should have at least told me on the B&H site that I needed the power supply.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Sep 15, 2008 at 6:42:30 pm

[Kevin Wild] "I spend $1100 on a converter and have it shipped overnight only to find out that the "power supply is sold separately.""

That's the case with all of the Aja mini converters. The salesman at B&H should have known this & mentioned it. The B&H website should make prominent mention of this, but it does not.

If it were me, I'd call B&H customer service & raise hell until they agree to free overnight on the DPW power supply. Or just get one locally if you have a local dealer who stocks them.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]