FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to keep a G5 alive (with a Sonnet eSata8)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Garber
Trying to keep a G5 alive (with a Sonnet eSata8)
on Sep 6, 2008 at 7:07:17 pm

Hi All,

Sorry that this isn't Kona-Specific. I wasn't sure which forum to post this and figured there's probably someone out there in this forum with the same or similar setup.

I have a G5 that I'm trying to keep active for as long as possible. It's been a great workhorse edit system and I'd rather wait for a few more paychecks before I upgrade to Intel ;)

I just updated all my Intel systems to Leopard and figured I'd follow suit on the G5. Checked all the program and hardware compatibilities out before I upgraded and it all seemed fine. EXCEPT, my 8-port SATA RAID won't work with Leopard. It's fine when I use it with Tiger.

When I turn on the drive, the computer locks up instantly.

Here are the stats:

G5 Dual 2.5
8GB RAM
OS 10.5.4
Tempo-X eSATA8 firmware version 2.1.4
AJA Kona 2 card
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
[8] Raided Seagate ST3400832AS 400GB drives
Burly Enclosure

I should mention that I did clone my old system drive before I upgraded, so it's not a problem to downgrade. Just would like to try to make this work so I can get all the systems to Leopard ;)

Thanks!

-Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Trying to keep a G5 alive (with a Sonnet eSata8)
on Sep 7, 2008 at 6:53:04 am

Have you called Sonnet?

No idea why you would have to go to Leopard to keep this system active. If it works fine in Tiger just leave it there.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Sep 8, 2008 at 9:32:52 pm

Haha, I knew someone would say that. Well, the G5 is eventually going to be our server (hoping it works with the G5) and needed, from what I understood from Zelin's article on building a SAN, to get it up to Leopard - which is what all the Intel systems are at.

Got word back from Sonnet today. It's a problem with their current drive. They sent me the previous driver, which is not online, and it worked.

Thanks,
Michael

Return to posts index

Jared Lorenz
on Oct 15, 2008 at 1:02:25 pm

I've contacted Sonnet with the same issue. In our case we upgraded because the machine would mysteriously no longer accept our passwords for login and the admin account password wouldn't even reset with the install discs.

Long story short - an upgrade to Leopard fixed that issue. But no more SATA bays. Waiting now to hear back from Sonnet.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Oct 15, 2008 at 6:53:09 pm

Hi Jared,

Good news is that they were able to fix it. Downgrading to the next most recent driver completely fixes the problem.

Hope they can help you with that, too!

Return to posts index

Anne Mills
on Oct 15, 2008 at 9:06:22 pm

Maybe its time to upgrade to a hardware disk array, the G5 CPU is not as fast as the latest MacPro, and hardware has a dedicated CPU that will free up the G5 CPU and speed up the overall performance of the final cut system.

-Anne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]