FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA LHe Sync Issues while laying to Beta SP, Help!

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Foregger
AJA LHe Sync Issues while laying to Beta SP, Help!
on Sep 4, 2008 at 10:17:43 pm

Hi all,

I've been having some really strange issues while laying to Beta SP (Sony UVW-1800) while using a Kona LHe. The audio is laying to tape anywhere from 2-5 seconds ahead of the video. It fluctuates from attempt to attempt but once the video shows up, sync does not drift. Here are my specs and configurations.

Mac Pro OsX 10.4.11
2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
7 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Working of an internal RAID (have tried external drives; no difference)

FCP 6.0.3
Kona LHe with driver 6.0 installed

Going component to UVW-1800 and feeding black ref from a Horita BSG-50 to kona LHE and beta ref in.

I'm working with a Pro Res Sequence at 29.97, 1280 x 720 and down converting for Beta through the kona.

I had this set up for a while and it worked, then I took the Mac Pro in because of performance issues and they replaced the logic board. I moved my editing suite and after hooking everything up again, and with this now replaced logic board in my mac pro, I'm having this problem.

Any ideas? Things I could try?

Thanks

Ryan Foregger
Lumina Films

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AJA LHe Sync Issues while laying to Beta SP, Help!
on Sep 4, 2008 at 11:42:03 pm

[Ryan Foregger] "The audio is laying to tape anywhere from 2-5 seconds ahead of the video. It fluctuates from attempt to attempt but once the video shows up, sync does not drift."

What do you mean by this? Once the video shows up?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 5, 2008 at 1:14:32 am

1) on the Beta VTR, MAKE SURE that the 75 ohm termination switch is ON. The Horita BSG-50 will NOT put out a black burst signal unless it is terminated (open collector circuit).

2) on the AJA LHe, open the AJA control panel, and click on the CONTROL tab, and make sure that it is set to EXT REF. Look at the little block diagram in the control panel. Does it indicate that it is receiving NTSC black ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ryan Foregger
on Sep 5, 2008 at 2:20:23 am

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your responses.

1) I do have the termination switch in the "on" position with the 1800. I also have a terminator on the ref loop out. For the LHe, I'm sending ref in and looping it out to a crt monitor with a terminator on the crt monitor. Do all outs from the Horita need to be terminated?

2) I won't be in front of the machine until morning but If I remember, when I checked, in the control panel for EXT REF it said 525i 29.97 but didn't mention anything specifically about "black" I'll check again when I get in tomorrow.

Thanks
Ryan

Return to posts index

Ryan Foregger
on Sep 5, 2008 at 3:47:35 pm

Still having the same issues this morning so I switched the project over to a G5 I have with a Kona 2. My sync issues were resolved, everything is working fine EXCEPT I'm having some interlacing issues. My video looks fine in my final cut pro sequence but when I lay to tape it looks like the field order is off. Everything is crunch, really noticeable in the titles but its in the entire picture. How do I fix this?

My Sequence is 1280 x 720 ProRes HQ 29.97. pixel aspect is square (maybe this is the problem?)
and I'm outputting to Beta using Kona 525i29.97 10bit(720x486) --I've also tried 8bit (720x486)... no difference.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 5, 2008 at 4:56:57 pm

Well, a G5 is not rated for ProRes HD playback. That could be your problem. Go back to your LHe machine.

I think you have a configuration issue.

What you have to do is set your FCP project up in the proper HIGH DEFINITION easy setup of which you have probably created a custom 720p30 easy setup. So use that custom ProRes setup in FCP.

Now, open your Kona control panel and control click (or right click) on the analog output triangle and choose secondary from the drop down menu. Control click again and choose 525i29.97 from lower down in the same drop down menu. That should get you situated.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ryan Foregger
on Sep 5, 2008 at 8:41:24 pm

I never used an Easy Setup. What I did was drop my clip (from After Effects) into a sequence and let Final Cut automatically change my settings. Is this not advisable? Should I custom create an Easy set up and render my clip?

My secondary setting has been correct this entire time at 525i29.97.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 5, 2008 at 8:44:46 pm

[Ryan Foregger] "Is this not advisable?"

It's advisable, but it will only change your seq. settings and not your video output settings.

In this case, try selecting the Aja Kona LHE 720p 59.94 ProRes easy setup.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ryan Foregger
on Sep 5, 2008 at 10:42:50 pm

I tried the 720p 59.94 easy setup and tried my commercial in both that sequence setting and also allowed final cut to change my sequence. Both times I still had the same issue, and this time it was an 8 second delay between sound and picture. Since the spots needed to got out today, what I ended up doing was

1) Dropping the ProRes 1280x720 clip in AE and letterboxing it myself, and rendering it out at 10 bit Uncompressed

2) Using that clip in Final Cut on the G5 and laying to tape using the Kona 2.

Everything looked okay so I just kept making them that way. Hope I didn't lose anything quality-wise but I didn't notice. Still need to get my MacPro / LHe to work though...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 5, 2008 at 10:45:56 pm

Hmm. Did you try mixing down your audio?

Select all in the sequence and hit option-command-r. This will render all of your audio down to one file for playback.

I would also contact AJA support. This should be working (and does work) flawlessly.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 5, 2008 at 10:51:46 pm

Just a thought, but what version of the MacPro do you have and have you set it the correct slot? If you have an earlier version of the MacPro (pre 2008) have you setup the PCIe slot configuration properly? Be sure to read the doc carefully if you have a pre2008 MacPro:

http://www.aja.com/html/support_kona_rec_sys.htm

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 6, 2008 at 12:01:17 am

1) I do have the termination switch in the "on" position with the 1800. I also have a terminator on the ref loop out. For the LHe, I'm sending ref in and looping it out to a crt monitor with a terminator on the crt monitor. Do all outs from the Horita need to be terminated?

REPLY - you are DOUBLE terminating the Beta 1800. You either use the switch, or the external terminator - NOT BOTH. You basically have no black going to your Beta 1800 because of this. You have dropped the signal level in HALF by double terminating. Do all outputs of the Horita need to be terminated - only the ones that you are using. Send black to the LHe, and terminate there. WHY are you sending reference to the CRT monitor ? This is for RGBS signals. The sync reference to this monitor DOES NOTHING for composite, and component feeds. STOP IT. Take black off the ext ref input or sync input of the monitor NOW !

2) I won't be in front of the machine until morning but If I remember, when I checked, in the control panel for EXT REF it said 525i 29.97 but didn't mention anything specifically about "black" I'll check again when I get in tomorrow.

Well, you let me know.

Bob zelin

Return to posts index

Ryan Foregger
on Sep 13, 2008 at 7:16:25 pm

Hi Bob,
I corrected all my black ref per you instructions. I am still having the issue. I've also discovered that After Effects has become extremely unstable when Video Preview uses the Kona. My theory is that a change in the logic board requires me to change the slot that my card is in. I believe in this thread someone mentioned that the early Mac Pro's use a different slot than the current Mac Pros... hence a new logic board in an old Mac Pro would equate to a new Mac Pro.
If that doesn't resolve my issue I'll call Kona
Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Ryan Foregger
on Sep 5, 2008 at 2:10:39 am

Jeremy, Sorry for the bad explanation. When I print to video, the 1800 starts recording, but only tone (I'm laying bars at the start) for 2-5 seconds BEFORE any picture gets recorded (bars). Then the whole thing continues out of sync.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]