kona 3 or iohd or mxo2?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali McCartan
kona 3 or iohd or mxo2?
on Aug 25, 2008 at 4:04:27 pm

Hello

maybe a daft question but..
We will be staring a small company in Nov/Dec.
Shooting everything on SonyEX1 and one of the mini HD cameras for risky situations. We are producing snowboarding/ski-ing and sports videos based in Japan. Upgrades from our old sonys.
Currently we have Macbook Pros and G4 powerbook.
We will be buying a Mac Pro and the required components to do full res HD. But its very confusing and in Japan everything costs alot more, the word bargaining is not part of the vocab here. and being lost in translation happens too much, I am Scottish and my business partners are Japanese, we speak E and J but the tech guys do not. So help from the west is probably best!
Q1) What should we buy Kona 3 IOHD or MXO2? it seems the most all round is the KONA3, but what if we want to use our MACBOOK Pros for working as well.
Q2) CALDIGIT HDPRO or G-TECH GSPEED?
Q4) What shall we colour correct on? Cos maybe the MXO is a cheap way to utilise the screens we already have.
Q3) Im assuming a standard network setup will allow all computers to access and use footage from the hard drive?
Buying from the Hard Drive and the Video card from USA will save over $4000 - crazy! so wanna make sure we get it right?
Also need to be kind of geared up for RED as well thats for next years winter 09/10!
Thank you so much for any help
Ali

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: kona 3 or iohd or mxo2?
on Aug 26, 2008 at 1:15:05 am

HELLO (replies below)

But its very confusing and in Japan everything costs alot more, the word bargaining is not part of the vocab here. and being lost in translation happens too much, I am Scottish and my business partners are Japanese, we speak E and J but the tech guys do not.

REPLY - repeat after me (shout when you say this) - TOO MUCH MONEY !
Keep doing this until they pull out weapons. You will get better prices.

Q1) What should we buy Kona 3 IOHD or MXO2? it seems the most all round is the KONA3, but what if we want to use our MACBOOK Pros for working as well.

REPLY - Kona 3 will not work on a MAC Book Pro. Only I/O HD and MXO2. Which one - if money is your only consideration - the MXO2. If you actually want to have working equipment- the I/O HD.

Q2) CALDIGIT HDPRO or G-TECH GSPEED?

REPLY - no question - the HD Pro, and neither will work on a Mac Book Pro.

Q4) What shall we colour correct on? Cos maybe the MXO is a cheap way to utilise the screens we already have.

REPLY - aah - my favorite word on these forums - CHEAP ! That's all that count's - doesn't it. Well, you already decided on the MXO, so how about an LG TV monitor from Korea. Who needs those useless CineTal, TV Logic, eCinema, Panasonic, and JVC critical LCD HD monitors. Get the LG, maybe a Samsung. Maybe we can ship you a Magnavox Plasma display from the US.

Q3) Im assuming a standard network setup will allow all computers to access and use footage from the hard drive?

REPLY - oh yes - this XSAN, Terrablock, EditShare, MetaSAN - it's all nonsense. You can do HD shared storage from regular networks. You go right ahead. (where do you get this stuff from, why do you assume this ? ).

Buying from the Hard Drive and the Video card from USA will save over $4000 - crazy! so wanna make sure we get it right?

REPLY - the US is cheaper than China or Australia ? What happens when something breaks - who will you call ?

Also need to be kind of geared up for RED as well thats for next years winter 09/10!

REPLY - oh, you want to use all this gear for 4K RED workflow as well. GOOD, I guess the standard network setup will work for this as well - especially the MXO2 for $1500, and that LG TV monitor you will buy - sure that will work real good with 4K images.

MY FRIEND - this is what you need. You need a PROFESSIONAL EQUIPMENT DEALER. You have no clue as to what is involved in making this happen. You will order a bunch of crap from B+H Photo to get the lowest prices. A bunch of boxes will arrive, and you will not have a clue as to what to do. You will not get HD to work, you will fail totally with your MAC Book Pro's. You will NEVER get your shared storage to work. You will NEVER have a RED workflow setup with your equipment. YOU NEED HELP. This is a user forum. We can give you simple advice, but you need EXTENSIVE HELP. If you try to do this yourself, you will think that you are saving money, but you will fail.

All the cards you mentioned (I/O HD, MXO2, Kona 3) have their advantages and disadvantages. Building a system, and selecting the right components for your application is a COMPLEX PROCESS - not something you do from a mail order catalog like B+H. You think that you are buying a firewire drive, and just plug it in, and it will mount, and you go to work with DV25. But RED WORKFLOW, and complex HD workflow is just that - COMPLEX, and you will have problems. You need someone to HELP YOU.

I'm sorry if you dont' like hearing this, but its true. There are new simple ways to do shared storage, but it's beyond the scope of a simple paragraph. You think that you will buy one G-Speed or Cal Digit HDPro, and by plugging in 3 cables into a Ethernet switch, you are sharing HD video - YOU ARE DREAMING.

I will give you some simple equipment suggestions, but they mean nothing - YOU NEED HELP, and you should HIRE someone, or consult with a dealer before doing anything.

Buy a MAC Pro with a min of 4 gig of RAM, some 23" DVI monitors, a Panasonic BT-LH2600W LCD monitor (there are lots of choices besides this model), an AJA Kona 3 (you can get an AJA Kona LHe if you don't care about upconversion, and don't care about RED), and a Cal Digit HD Pro. And get a big UPS. Get a small audio mixer from Behringer, like a Xenyx 1204FX (it's made in China), and get M-audio BX-5A speakers (there are countless speakers to choose from). Get an AJA GEN10 black generator - and don't forget the DWP power supply. You will need a LOT of hi quality HD video cables, and a bunch of assorted audio cables. All this stuff will show up, and it WONT WORK. IT has to be setup, and it's a pain in the butt. And this is not a complete list. And it won't be able to SHARE between multiple MAC FCP systems.

Others will be more polite, and give you their opinions, but if there is only one thing that you listen to, it's that you should GET HELP before getting yourself into trouble.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

ali mccartan
on Aug 26, 2008 at 12:40:13 pm

Thanks Bob

Good that was honest. Just what was needed really But as for your suggestions on cheap screens and behringer mixer, a bit silly. Actually OZ is very expensive. We already have a very nice pro audio studio, one of the partners does mastering and programming for a company in Tokyo.
But aside from that thankyou. there is alot of info out there and in places it seems possible to d.i.y for example we regularly work as audio freelancers and we encounter many problems on site, just thought maybe..
But hey thats why i posted here.
Cheers

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 26, 2008 at 6:21:11 pm

If you need any detailed information on what to buy, just write back, and I will answer with out the smart ass comments -
Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ferdinand Stoer
on Aug 27, 2008 at 5:17:26 pm

If you need help with the setup in Japan, I recommend that you get in touch with a company called reinphase in Tokyo - they consult people with needs such as yours. Call them at 03-6913-9600 or send an email at info@reinphase.com, ask for Mr. Kinoshita to get expert help in reasonable English.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]