FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing F900 29.97 Progressive to ProRes (HQ) via Kona 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kay Ee
Capturing F900 29.97 Progressive to ProRes (HQ) via Kona 3
on Aug 23, 2008 at 9:58:33 am

Dear Experts!

I'm trying to capture F900 shot HDCam tapes with a Sony J-H3 deck, Kona 3 card, and of course FCP 6.

According to the DP, the format is 29.97 Progressive.

My J-H3 Sony Playback deck indicates: "29.97 PsF"

The "Easy Setup" for 1080P 29.97 ProRes (HQ) has been installed and is available on Final Cut Pro. The AJA Control Panel automatically reads the footage as 1080i.

My Final Cut Pro 6 (thru Kona 3) fails to capture the footage with above format/"Easy Setup".

If I try 1080i 29.97 ProRes (HQ), it works.

How can I capture the HDCam tapes in Progressive instead of Interlaced? Or is it shot interlaced or can I simply capture interlaced?
30% of the footage is Green screen.

Thank you in advance!

Kay

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Capturing F900 29.97 Progressive to ProRes (HQ) via Kona 3
on Aug 23, 2008 at 3:15:59 pm

PsF is technically played out as an interlaced format (that's 60 fields a second instead of 30 frames per second) so you need to capture 1080i. Then you need to change your clips and sequences in FCP so that they have a field dominance of 'None'.

Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kay Edwards
on Aug 23, 2008 at 7:26:17 pm

Thanks, Jeremy!

Do I change the field dominance of the sequence to None before capturing or after? I'll give it a try and let you know if it's better.

Again, thank you!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 23, 2008 at 8:06:22 pm

[Kay Edwards] "Do I change the field dominance of the sequence to None before capturing or after? I'll give it a try and let you know if it's better. "

Doesn't matter. Capture the footage first. then in the browser, change the field dominance of ALL of your clips to 'None'. Then create a sequence and make sure the field dom is none there as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kay Edwards
on Aug 23, 2008 at 8:01:12 pm

I just tried capturing 1080i 29.97 with field dominance at NONE, and later with field dominance at UPPER. I think the NONE field dominance footage looks better when I freeze the frames. Does this make sense?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 23, 2008 at 8:10:43 pm

Your footage is capturing in interlaced (or PsF is the more accurate term in your case), so it doesn't matter. What you need to do is make sure your footage and sequence match. Since you want to keep your progressive look, you need to change your clips to none and your sequence to none (after capturing) so that you will be working progressively and not interlaced. If you keep your footage set to Upper and sequence to Upper, you will render interlaced.

Does that make more sense to you?

Also, don't worry about what your footage looks like when it's paused, make sure the motion looks good when playing :)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kay Edwards
on Aug 23, 2008 at 8:35:52 pm

Absolutely, Jeremy!

I'm capturing the footage with the Sequence field dominance set to NONE. Does this mean that I still have to set the clips to NONE as well? How? or shall I wait until the first tape has been captured?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 23, 2008 at 8:40:59 pm

[Kay Edwards] "I'm capturing the footage with the Sequence field dominance set to NONE. Does this mean that I still have to set the clips to NONE as well?"

Setting your sequence setting does not affect how your clips are captured. You have to set them both.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kay Edwards
on Aug 23, 2008 at 9:41:29 pm

Many thanks, Jeremy!

Return to posts index

Kay Edwards
on Aug 24, 2008 at 12:05:52 am

Sorry for being new to this - when I play the captured ProRes Qtime file it's full frame. The tape footage is shot in letterbox. Am I doing something wrong with the capturing? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kay Edwards
on Aug 24, 2008 at 1:08:37 pm

pl disregard previous question. Issue solved! Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]