FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200 / Kona 3 / P2 - DPX workflow

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikhil Kamkolkar
HVX200 / Kona 3 / P2 - DPX workflow
on Aug 22, 2008 at 1:47:39 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to come up with a workflow for my HVX200 that is rock-solid with regard to color/grading. I've googled and come across several posts and believe the following is the probable approach.

Shoot 1080p/24 (P2 - DVCPRO-HD)
Data import into MAC / FCP
*(Create DPX files for all footage)
Complete edit in FCP 5 (could upgrade to FCP 6 if needed)
*(Conform DPX footage to edit via EDL)
*(Create all VFX in After Effects - should I grade the VFX shots first?)
*(Import DPX footage into a grading app (Possibly Scratch))
*(Complete grading and export to all required formats)

All of the elements prefixed with an asterix are items I need more info on to even ask the right questions.

Since this topic might span multiple forums, my first task is to understand how having the Kona 3 (which I do) would help in this workflow to either enable some of these steps, or assist in the performance aspect of each step.

I'm also trying to understand which codecs should be used - I'm seeing some discussion on the RGB vs YUV colorspace and need to incorporate codec info in the workflow above.

I also have a Ciprico Fiber Optic RAID drive (and am bummed they have declared chapter 11)... so handling large data sizes should be ok.

Thanks for any assistance! Please do feel free to point me to links that might be useful.

Thanks!
Nikhil

---
Nikhil Kamkolkar
http://www.IndianCowboy.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: HVX200 / Kona 3 / P2 - DPX workflow
on Aug 22, 2008 at 6:38:29 pm

[Nikhil Kamkolkar] "m trying to come up with a workflow for my HVX200 that is rock-solid with regard to color/grading. I've googled and come across several posts and believe the following is the probable approach. "

Why?

DPX files are usually reserved for higher quality acquisition certainly higher than the 8bit the HVX200 captures.

I have to be real honest with you, this is a HUGE amount of work with little or no benefit to anyone or anything.

It would be far easier on both you and your hardware to work in 10bit UC as YUV video rather than 10's of thousands of YUV >RGB < YUV frames

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Nikhil Kamkolkar
Re: HVX200 / Kona 3 / P2 - DPX workflow
on Aug 26, 2008 at 1:07:33 am

Thanks Gary! "Why" is always a good question to keep asking oneself, and you raise a good point about the acquisition happening at 8 bits...

---
Nikhil Kamkolkar
http://www.IndianCowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]