FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bug With Kona Software 6.0?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean ONeil
Bug With Kona Software 6.0?
on Aug 21, 2008 at 12:27:30 am

After capturing with FCP 6.0.4, my NTSC clips are seen as Upper-field first dominance. Not lower-field like it's supposed to be.

I only tried my usual Easy Setup "AJA KONA 3 - NTSC Apple ProRes 422." Haven't tried any others.

I checked the Capture Preset for that Easy Setup. It is in fact set to bottom-field first like it's supposed to be. But it's not working out that way.

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
Re: Bug With Kona Software 6.0?
on Aug 21, 2008 at 4:15:17 am

did you run the firmware updater after the 6.0 software install?

Paul Provost
http://www.postandbeam.tv

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Aug 21, 2008 at 5:43:03 am

Yes.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 21, 2008 at 4:21:15 pm

I'd imagine this is an FCP bug. You can change the field dom after the fact.

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Aug 21, 2008 at 5:56:18 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I'd imagine this is an FCP bug."

It doesn't happen with Kona 5.1 drivers.

Sean

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Aug 21, 2008 at 6:05:26 pm

anybody tried 10bit ntsc yet?

Paul Provost
http://www.postandbeam.tv

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Aug 21, 2008 at 6:38:31 pm

AJA support just got back to me. They confirmed the bug. It's only with "that codec" (don't know if that includes ProRes HQ as well) and it'll be resolved with a 6.1 maintenance release. They do have kick-ass support. Imagine trying to bring an issue like this up with Apple.

Sean

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 21, 2008 at 6:47:08 pm

Nice!

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Aug 21, 2008 at 8:40:23 pm

Ugghh. Not so nice anymore. So I downgraded to 5.1 per their instructions. Now I get a kernel panic anytime I playback footage.

I think I either need to downgrade my firmware somehow or go back to 6.0 and not use ProRes SQ.

Sean

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 21, 2008 at 8:52:06 pm

Yes, you need to downagrade the firmware. You can do this with the Kona Firmware updater. You might have to install 6.0 again. I am pretty sure it's in the manual or the release notes on how to do it. I know there's specific instructions for it somewhere just for this very reason.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Aug 21, 2008 at 10:42:40 pm

Thanks Jerermy. I found the fw downgrade instructions and everything's now back to the way it was pre-6.0. Not sure why I updated in the first place as everything worked fine. I think the whole "AV Sync Issues Resolved" in the release notes had me a bit freaked out.

Sean

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Aug 22, 2008 at 2:55:14 pm

I'm going to add to this list of bugs...

I upgraded this morning to the 6.0 driver, thinking this is going to be awesome. Wrong! After the update and the firmware update, I no longer had video playing in my Canvas and Viewer windows at all. Neither would it play on my program monitor. All I would get on my program monitor is a still frame.

Nothing else changed and the video playback was set correctly. I am using the AJA Kona3: DVCProHD 1080i29.97 Easy setup.

I reverted back to the 5.1 drivers and earlier firmware and everything is fine again... AJA... Opps... I have to admit this disappoints me that AJA released this with issues. Its not like them to do this. Maybe 6.1 will fix this.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Brad Buss
on Aug 22, 2008 at 10:34:35 pm

I uninstalled 5.1, upgraded to 6.0 and flashed firmware on Kona 3. Today I tried capturing with ProRes 525 29.97, and it wasn't connecting to the audio 5/6 XLR. I switched to 8bit 525 29.97 and it was able to connect to the XLR channels again, then it retained the connection when going back to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Sep 2, 2008 at 1:16:06 pm

I found my answer myself...

When updating to the 6.0 driver, I had to uninstall the 5.1 NDD driver, restart the Mac, install the 6.0 driver, restart the Mac, then update the firmware and restart for a final time. After all of this, the Mac started fine and is working properly so far...

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]