FORUMS: list search recent posts

time code offset

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Grant
time code offset
on Aug 20, 2008 at 8:15:36 pm

I am trying to capture from a Sony HDV Z1U via a convergent design HD-SI to the KONA 3 capture card in a new MacPro 2.8.

In both FCP 6.0.3 and VTR exchange I seem to have about a 5 frame offset from between the LCD on the camera and the image on the computer. But any changes I make to the device control preset don't seem to effect anything. Unless I go crazy and set it to a 45 frame offset. But changing it by two or three frames makes no difference.

On the AJA I have tried Genlock set to both freerun and video in options. I have ordered but don't have a sync generator yet. I plan on using that when I set up my other decks, but for now I don't have anything besides the Kona 3 connected to the system that takes sync. I also do not have any other devices with an SDI connection to compare.

I tried changeing the TC offset on the HD-SI but that did not seem to matter. I am not sure the changes took effect but their customer service seemed to think the issue was in the device control presets with in FCP.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: time code offset
on Aug 20, 2008 at 10:49:05 pm

Is the video capturing in sync? If so, what's the problem? Are you saying the tc is 5 frames different from the tape?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Aug 21, 2008 at 12:44:23 am

I had not paid attention to the audio, everything I was capturing was all b-roll. I went back and captured a slate and it seems that the audio might be on, but the video is three frames off. When I view it in the camera the slate hits at 1:01:48:01. The captured audio first bit of noise is at 01:01:48:01 and the video hits at 01:01:48:04.

This is using the "AJA Kona 3- 1080i 29.97 DVCPro HD" easy setup.

Even though the Kona 3 is the only thing I would have connected to the sync generator, am I running around in circles until I get one?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 21, 2008 at 12:54:31 am

Is that consistent? Log the clip three times, capture it three times and tell me what you see.

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Aug 21, 2008 at 1:27:22 am

I have captured the same clip a bunch of times but not always with the same settings. But It seems fairly constant.

I will try it three times with the same easy set up first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 21, 2008 at 1:30:52 am

Just make sure to name the clips something different so you can compare.

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Aug 21, 2008 at 5:21:58 pm

The results are consistent. My brain is turning to mush.

All three Kona captured clips came in the same. They also matched the clips from yesterday.

I also did three normal HDV via Fire wire clips using the HDV easy set up. They were different from the AJA settings. They all came in the same as each other and in sync with the tape. I also captured one clip via Firewire to Pro Res and that matched the HDV clips.

So through firewire the clips seem fine. Through the Kona 3 via the HD SI the audio is two frames off and the video is four frames off.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 21, 2008 at 1:30:50 am

[Glenn Grant] ". I went back and captured a slate and it seems that the audio might be on, but the video is three frames off."

thats odd.

the older varicams record audio 2 frames behind the video- some other cameras do too.

give more on your workflow AFTER you try the log and capture test Jeremy recommended.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Aug 21, 2008 at 5:34:13 pm

As for work flow, I am trying to establish a new work flow.

Typically I shot with the Sony Z1, capture via firewire to ProRez and output to DVCam, DVD or FTP for broadcast commercials. I also ingest via a DSR-20. I usually have Beta tapes dubed to DVCam or get someone with a Beta SP deck to capture the clips for me.

I just added the Kona 3 card so I can start adding more high end gear. Might be over kill for what I currently do, but I got a good deal on one. I am also planning on installing a Kona LH or LS in my G5 so I can get more use out of that and I will be connecting a Sony 1800 beta sp to that. That way I can capture and output to Beta.

I edit a lot of projects that come to me on hard drives, and usually go out the same way so IO has not been much of an issue. Most other projects I do end up on DVD or I upload them to an FTP site so HDV via Firewire has been working. I'm starting to move up the food chain and I need to have the gear to handle the bigger projects.

When I can, I would like to upgrade to a better camera, and get an HD deck, but not quite yet. Now with the Kona cards I can at least rent an HD deck when I need one.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 21, 2008 at 6:43:44 pm

I would imagine that the convergent box is doing something to the signal as you captures are consistent.

Do you have any SDI capable decks there to test?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Aug 22, 2008 at 2:44:59 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have any other SDI gear to try out. I will go back to convergent design and see what they think.

Thanks for the help guys.

Return to posts index

Peter Sengstock
on Sep 8, 2008 at 7:34:28 pm

Did anything ever come of this, or did you have to give up?

I've got the following issue, but with our Io HD. We have an old production telecine that we use for transferring student films. We're trying to make tapeless film transfers by going straight from the telecine to the Io HD. Keycode reader picks up the keycode, passes it off to our TC generator, which pushes out TC to the LTC port on the back of the Io HD. This whole process works great, except for the fact that all of our files end up with timecode that's exactly 5 frames early. Every. Single. Time...

Our engineers have been complaining that the Io HD doesn't jam sync like a deck, but I think that we just need to figure out how to offset the 5 frames. We're just using AJA's Xchange app.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

PGS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]