FORUMS: list search recent posts

K3 box audio monitoring

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Sonnenfeld
K3 box audio monitoring
on Aug 9, 2008 at 7:40:39 pm

I just finally upgraded to a Kona 3 with the K3 box and I'm having a hard time getting stereo audio out of the box. I've never had this problem before on the LHe. I'm in final cut with 2 tracks of audio and when it plays back through the box only the white channel carries audio, the red is silent. I have the same problem if I open up files that I know are stereo in AJA TV.

I'm hoping this isn't a hardware problem and there's just a setting that I've overlooked.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Adam

Return to posts index

Adam Sonnenfeld
Addition to Re: K3 box audio monitoring
on Aug 9, 2008 at 8:45:06 pm

I'm still troubleshooting the problem and found some more information:

My setup goes from the Kona card to the K3 box. I then go out of that with dual SDIs to Blackmagic's HDLink that sends video to an Apple 23in display. I was hoping to do audio out of the K3 box but I just tried plugging into the HDLink and found the same problem, SDI is only carrying the right side audio, and the RCAs on the box are probably fine. Is there a setting I should be looking for to get the card to output audio properly?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Addition to K3 box audio monitoring
on Aug 9, 2008 at 9:55:09 pm

this is what you are going to do.
You are going to go into FCP, and open up any project you like. Bring up BARS AND TONE (like NTSC bars and tone) from the "film strip". Hit PLAY.

Take one RCA output from the K3 box (white is left, red is right), and with a cheap RCA cable, stick the RCA cable from white into your audio monitor (like your home stereo system). Do you hear tone ? Now, move the cable from white to red. Do you hear audio ?

If you don't hear any audio from either the red or white output (left or right channel), close out of FCP, and go into the AJA Control Panel (do you know where this is?). Play back an SDI source or HD-SDI source into the Kona 3 (do you have an SDI source ?), and monitor the output of the K3 box - first left channel (white), and then right channel (red) - do you hear any audio. To do this test, you must have the INPUT tab of the AJA Control Panel selected to EMBEDDED AUDIO, and you must have the CONTROL TAB of the AJA Control Panel selected to INPUT PASSTHROUGH. Are you familiar with these settings in the AJA Control Panel ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Adam Sonnenfeld
on Aug 9, 2008 at 10:54:00 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I am familiar with the Kona Control Panel and I've followed your instructions for testing with color bars. Unfortunately I don't have an SDI source so I can't run a passthrough. Both RCA jacks are working fine, and it looks like this stereo problem is really coming from my mixer and not the Kona.

But in running the test I found another issue. I could not hear the color bars tone in the viewer unless I set the Monitor Audio to 3-4 in the Analog Out tab. I added tracks to the timeline and found that I can't monitor more than two tracks over the box at any one time. Is there a FCP setting to output all tracks as stereo, or is this a setting in the Control Panel?

Thanks for your help,
Adam

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 9, 2008 at 11:16:40 pm

Both RCA jacks are working fine, and it looks like this stereo problem is really coming from my mixer and not the Kona.

REPLY -
how can it be your mixer - the Kona 3 has NO ANALOG AUDIO INPUTS.
Do you have a mixer with AES outputs, because you cant send the output of an analog audio mixer (like a Mackie) into a Kona 3.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Adam Sonnenfeld
on Aug 9, 2008 at 11:48:32 pm

I'm only talking about outputs. The analog RCA outputs from the K3 box.

I had a dead channel on a brand new mixer which I swapped out for a new Mackie. It's working great.

Do you have any ideas regarding my other question about audio track playback?

-Adam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]