FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digitizing via SDI

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Holzman
Digitizing via SDI
on Aug 5, 2008 at 2:38:20 pm

Very basic question but I haven't been editing much in the last few years and I now find that rather than going out to the edit house that I usually work at it makes most sense to do the following:

I have a shoot where I need to digitize DVCPro50 footage on the set.

I want to use the my G5 dual 2.7 with AJA (LH) to bring the footage in via SDI and edit in uncompressed 8 or 10 bit.

Having never used SDI I have some questions: Does the SDI carry TC, Video and Sound?

Do I need to tell FCP or AJA software to embed the SDI signal??

For the minimal hardware set up can I get by with the G5
computer with speakers, FCP 5.x, computer monitor, AJA board w/ BOB, CalDigit hard
drives, BNC cable, and DVCPro 50 93 deck?

And finally, I'm assuming when you come in via SDI (with this set up) there is no way to
monitor or change audio levels...correct?

The goal is really just to get this footage onto the hard drives quickly so that the editor can begin his edit over the weekend.

Thanks for your advice.

Paul

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Digitizing via SDI
on Aug 5, 2008 at 3:35:19 pm

[Paul Holzman] "I have a shoot where I need to digitize DVCPro50 footage on the set.
I want to use the my G5 dual 2.7 with AJA (LH) to bring the footage in via SDI and edit in uncompressed 8 or 10 bit. "

these 2 contradict each other-
are you capturing direct from a camera or just a deck?
are you working in DV50 or Uncompressed?

"Does the SDI carry TC, Video and Sound? "
Yes BUT FCP does not read or capture timecode over SDI without alot of assistance

Most decks have RS422 ports to handle the serial protocol ( over a 9pin cable) that will allow for FCP to see the TC track and record it

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Paul Holzman
on Aug 5, 2008 at 3:54:31 pm

Capturing from a Deck. I had heard that it is better to work uncompressed but I could certainly bring it in via Firewire. I will have some FX work that an animation house will be doing and I thought it better that they have uncompressed video to do their commpositing.

I can bring an RS422 with me. Thanks for the tip.

Paul

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 5, 2008 at 5:34:47 pm

[Paul Holzman] " I will have some FX work that an animation house will be doing and I thought it better that they have uncompressed video to do their commpositing. "

You definitely want to capture as 10bit then.

AJA offers windows and mac codecs for uncompressed data, this will allow you to shuttle the files back and forth between the systems.

glad to assist.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 5, 2008 at 4:00:13 pm

[Paul Holzman] "Does the SDI carry TC, Video and Sound? "

Sound and Video. TC is carried by RS-422

[Paul Holzman] "Do I need to tell FCP or AJA software to embed the SDI signal?? "

You do this in the AJA Control Panel. Select the appropriate SDI input and set the Audio to embedded.

[Paul Holzman] "CalDigit hard
drives"

Without knowing which drives you have, no way to tell you. For uncompressed 10bit SD editing, you should be up around 100MB/s sustained.

[Paul Holzman] "And finally, I'm assuming when you come in via SDI (with this set up) there is no way to
monitor or change audio levels...correct? "

Monitor, yes. Change, no, you do that after you capture.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Paul Holzman
on Aug 5, 2008 at 4:18:18 pm

Thanks Walter and Gary.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]