FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drive/Raid Crash?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Paris
Drive/Raid Crash?
on Aug 4, 2008 at 11:04:48 pm

Hi Guys,

Major problem...... I'm in the middle of a one hour HD special edit when my 2- 2.5 towers (5TB) PROMAX ESATA drives stopped behaving.....Here's the message I get from Disk Utility.

Verify and Repair volume “External SATA 5TB”
Checking Non-journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid node structure
Volume check failed.

I wouldn't bother you folks with this except that I was one of those unlucky individuals that purchased a system via PROMAX who has since gone out of business. Tech support no longer answers the phone.

My question..... do I need to off load all the files and re-format the array of drives or is there another solution? I would hate to have this happen again after re-formatting!

Thanks for your help!

Bill Paris

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Drive/Raid Crash?
on Aug 4, 2008 at 11:11:35 pm

[Bill Paris] "I wouldn't bother you folks with this except that I was one of those unlucky individuals that purchased a system via PROMAX who has since gone out of business. Tech support no longer answers the phone.
"

They're back in business as of last month.

http://promaxsystems.blogspot.com/

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Aug 4, 2008 at 11:13:07 pm

Thanks Walter...... I'll give them a call.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 5, 2008 at 12:20:31 am

Let us know if you get anywhere with that. Hopefully they have the support department up and running again.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Aug 5, 2008 at 12:28:42 am

Walter,

I did get through to the "New and Improved" PROMAX. Their service department was very helpful and assured me they would help me solve the issue. Currently, I'm backing up all the data from the raid to other drives while I wait for a call back from the guys at Promax. I'll keep you posted on further results.

Bill Paris

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 5, 2008 at 4:14:47 pm

DID YOU TRY DISK WARRIOR? Sometimes it gets past errors that Disk Utility cannot fix.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Aug 5, 2008 at 5:16:27 pm

Rich,

As a matter of fact ..... after off loading 2.5 TB of data, we ran Disk Warrior and sure enough that seems to have solved the directory issues. I did have one crash after running it, so I'm still concerned there may be a problem with one of the drives in the raid. I'm going to try to run Disk Warrior on each slice of the raid if I can?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Bill Paris

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 5, 2008 at 6:43:05 pm

My rule of thumb with Disk Warrior is to keep running it if you get errors until you get a perfect green light that there are no more errors.

Once is usually not enough if there are serious errors. Sometimes as many as four passes until you get a clean bill of health.

Glad a prostate exam isn't that way.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

ben rollason
on Oct 6, 2011 at 10:10:41 pm

Thanks for the Disk Warrior tip, guys.

Dead RAID 0 HD, so Disk Utility told me... and a fair bit of work in progress unbacked up still.

So I paid my $99 and took the chance, based on your good advice.

Well, Disk Warrior had a different prognosis for the patient than Disk Utility did and although one or two files remain permanently missing in action, it took all of about 10 minutes for Disk Warrior to bring my dead RAID drive back to life. Saved me a whole heap of pain.

Thoroughly recommend. :-)

vfx.benrollason.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]