FORUMS: list search recent posts

Controlling Digi-Beta with Parallel-Port

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Sternberger
Controlling Digi-Beta with Parallel-Port
on Jul 31, 2008 at 9:04:30 am

Hi Cow,

I´m curious if you could control a Digi-Beta deck (or any other deck) through the 50p parallel port on the deck connected to a Kona 3 serial port (via an adapter). Would it work? Would you have timecode? Are there any adapters for it?
Would it work with the RS 232C on the deck too, and what would be the difference to the 50p?

CU

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Controlling Digi-Beta with Parallel-Port
on Aug 1, 2008 at 3:17:40 am

the answer to all of this is yes. RS232 control is the "industry standard" of the A-V industry that does multi media presentations. The Digi Beta is overkill for this type of application, but this is exactly what VTR's like the old UVW-1400 were designed for - for board room/conference room presentations, that were controlled by a PC's RS232 COMM PORT.

When you go to an A-V industry trade show (like InfoComm), companies like AMX and Crestron (who make controllers for presentations) have booths the same size as Sony and Panasonic. It's inconceivable to me that the "corporate board room" world will pay 20 times the cost of a DVD player, just so they can have a common control panel make the DVD go into PLAY from a podium. And when they do "stage show presentations", and say "lets look at the tape", its often automated and controlled by the R232 or Parallel ports on these VTRs (and NEVER the RS422 port that all of us use).

Bob zelin

Return to posts index

Eric Sternberger
on Aug 1, 2008 at 9:15:00 am

thanks for your answer Bob,

the reason for all of this is I´d like to be able to switch with the two remote buttons on the vtr between two editing stations connected to the Rs422 and the 50p on the Vtr. so we could use the vtr with both editing rooms without the need for patchpanels or pluggin/unplugging cables and gain a very convenient way to control it.
Do you know of any boxes or cables that translate the konas signal to the 50p?
(For the RS232 there is no designated switch on the vtr. If I would use that port would it override any signal on the RS422? The VTR is a DVW-M2000P)

Regards,

Eric

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 1, 2008 at 12:35:12 pm

[Eric Sternberger] "the reason for all of this is I´d like to be able to switch with the two remote buttons on the vtr between two editing stations connected to the Rs422"

Get an RS-422 Switch box, that's easy. Run both Konas into the switch box, connect the deck to the output and just switch to the unit that needs to control it.

Or you can even get a really simple CAT-5 Patch Panel like the one Bob Zelin told me about and we installed here. 6 VTRs and 3 Kona editing systems all running into a very simple CAT5 panel. Simply patch Edit System to VTR and start editing. Very cool and VERY cheap.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 1, 2008 at 9:40:15 pm

THIS WILL NOT WORK. You need a nice simple $9.95 9 pin AB box that you can pick up from any on line mail order company. There is no "A/B" function with Sony VTR's. Professionals use RS422 patch bays or routers, but for a "cheap way out", a simple 10 dollar AB box will work just fine.

http://www.trianglecable.com

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Eric Sternberger
Thanks!
on Aug 4, 2008 at 8:55:22 am

...ok, I will try that. Thanks again for your input!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]