FORUMS: list search recent posts

"output only" Kona card

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Jaeger
"output only" Kona card
on Jul 30, 2008 at 11:37:34 pm

Are there any plans in the works for an "output only" Kona card? Our graphics, grading and audio suites no longer require input as they are pulling media from the SAN. Projects are digitized/ingested (and ultimately mastered) in a central edit/machine room equipped with a Kona 3. During post, various edit and graphics suites share the project off the SAN and never need to connect to the machine room for I/O... They do however require high quality monitoring output in all the nice formats supported by the Kona 3. As acquisition becomes ever more file-based it seems like more and more facilities will have underutilized Kona 3's... Any suggestions?

Martin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: "output only" Kona card
on Jul 31, 2008 at 12:06:23 am

you mean you want a Kona card that costs LESS MONEY (right ?). Because you can use ANY Kona card as a "monitoring out" card right now. So you want a Kona Card that costs less money.

WHY YES, you don't need a Kona 3, you can use a Kona LHe. $1500 too much money? Then you can get a Blackmagic Decklink HD for $895. Still too much money ? How much do you want to spend - $295?

HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU WANT TO SPEND TO MONITOR AN HDI or SDI signal ? You can get a Matrox MXO, but that costs $1000. You want to spend $295, don't you ?

The product line is fine the way it is. AJA needs a PCI card interface for the I/O HD, so they are not reliant on the FW800 buss, not a $295 card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Gordon Gurley
on Jul 31, 2008 at 4:33:50 pm

I kinda feel the same way as Martin. $1500 is not a ton of money, but when you are talking 2 or 3 suites, it adds up. We have been an AJA only house for years, but wondering: do the Blackmagic cards mix well with the AJA cards?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 31, 2008 at 5:10:32 pm

[Gordon Gurley] "but wondering: do the Blackmagic cards mix well with the AJA cards?
"

No they do not.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Martin Jaeger
on Jul 31, 2008 at 6:58:01 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Because you can use ANY Kona card as a "monitoring out" card right now"

Obviously I realize one can use any Kona card for monitoring output but I'd still be getting (and, yes, paying for) functionality which I wouldn't utilize. I'd hate to resort to some cobbled together, lesser-featured card from BM or Matrox that I'd have to integrate into the pipeline, cause I'm kinda a AJA guy. I just want all the up, down, sideways conversion and terrific multi-format support and compatibility of the Kona 3... just without the all the inputs... The appropriate tool for the job, no more, no less.

[Bob Zelin] "The product line is fine the way it is."

Seems like it would be a thoughtful, forward-looking adjunct to the AJA product line if you ask me. I'd certainly buy a hand full of them whatever they cost. SDI/HD-SDI out, throw in some HDMI, DVI, decent audio and you got it. BM Intensity card is in the right direction but no pro output and limited format support.

Increasingly (for us anyway) our tape decks only come into play during mastering. RED, P2 (and inevitably other file-based formats) come in from the field and are simply ingested to the SAN. There is no more digitizing media from tape.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 31, 2008 at 7:14:33 pm

I think something like that would be a good idea, an inexpensive SD/HD output for what you've described. I can even see this as very handy in a Reality Show type of environment where you have dedicated ingest stations, but can have many edit suites running with output only devices.

Have you looked at the Matrox MXO at all? I've never used one, but I know that Shane Ross likes that and it is a low cost output only device. Not sure if it will suit your needs, but you could probably get a demo device from a VAR in your area.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Martin Jaeger
on Jul 31, 2008 at 8:22:09 pm

[walter biscardi] "environment where you have dedicated ingest stations, but can have many edit suites running with output only devices."

This is our scenario exactly (albeit not a reality series) and the logic behind my initial remarks.

[walter biscardi] "Have you looked at the Matrox MXO at all"

Did have a look at the MXO. Problem is it utilizes the DVI ouptut and all our workstations run dual monitors. Sure, we could add another DVI card but then we're sorta defeating the purpose again.

Appreciate you validating my take on the usefulness of such a product... Rather than just jumping to the conclusion that I'm some penny-pinching hobbyist! ;-)

Best,

Martin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 31, 2008 at 8:57:04 pm

[Martin Jaeger] "Did have a look at the MXO. Problem is it utilizes the DVI ouptut and all our workstations run dual monitors. Sure, we could add another DVI card but then we're sorta defeating the purpose again. "

I was afraid of that. Like I said, I have not looked at it as it's not something we need at this time. Maybe we can ask the folks at AJA about something like this.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 31, 2008 at 9:05:55 pm

[Martin Jaeger] "Did have a look at the MXO. Problem is it utilizes the DVI ouptut and all our workstations run dual monitors."

Yeah...that is the one drawback. That it takes up that one DVI port. I can say that it works fine with stuff captured with a Kona card. But to utilize it means losing a monitor...or buying ANOTHER piece of hardware (the TripleHead2Go) to split a DVI port into two. By then you are in the $1300 range, so you might as well get a Kona LHe to be consistent.

But I do like the MXOs.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 31, 2008 at 9:56:31 pm

Martin -
I understand your situation. Why don't you get a Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme card for $895 and see what happens for you. We are AJA fans here, but this card from BMD (which has INPUTS on it too), should work for your application. If you feel (or someone else on this forum feels) that $895 for 3 rooms ($2700) is TOO MUCH MONEY to monitor professional video in HD enviornments, then please get off all of these user forums, including those that compete with Creative Cow. People who want to work for free in the professional video industry do not belong in the industry. I actually enjoy eating once in a while. Although we are AJA fans here, Blackmagic Design makes fine products (as does Matrox, and MOTU).

Bob zelin

Return to posts index

Gordon Gurley
on Jul 31, 2008 at 10:42:04 pm

Not to belittle the point, but I work for a non-profit academic institution, so keeping costs low is always a concern.

That being said, we've been very happy with Kona and will stick with it. The tech support alone is worth the price.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]