FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 2 for uprez

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Goulder
Kona 2 for uprez
on Jul 26, 2008 at 5:26:39 pm

Does the Kona 2 offer full motion adaptive hardware HD uprez from an SD input? Will it properly convert a 480i 29.97 input to a 1080p 23.98 timeline, and would the results be superior to those achieved simply by dropping the SD file on the HD timeline and rendering? Will the quality be comparable to using something like a Terranex, etc.?
Thank you.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona 2 for uprez
on Jul 26, 2008 at 5:51:47 pm

The one big thing the Terranex has is line doubling so especially for DV footage, the Terranex is always better. For BetaSP, DigiBeta footage, we've achieved incredibly clean upconverts via the Kona 2 and Kona 3. For DV, it's hit or miss, depends on the footage.

I would certainly try it first to see if you're happy with the results and if not, consider the Terranex.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona 2 for uprez
on Jul 26, 2008 at 6:27:31 pm

[Dan Goulder] "Will it properly convert a 480i 29.97 input to a 1080p 23.98 timeline"

No. The Kona 2 or 3 will up convert to the same time base, but it will not retime. You will dedicated hardware for that.

[Dan Goulder] " would the results be superior to those achieved simply by dropping the SD file on the HD timeline and rendering?"

That's not going to look very good either as you are going from 29.97 to 23.98.

[Dan Goulder] "Will the quality be comparable to using something like a Terranex, etc.? "

Nope, not in this case because of the retime.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]