FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe vs BM Decklink HD Extreme

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Adams
Kona LHe vs BM Decklink HD Extreme
on Jul 24, 2008 at 9:28:17 pm

I am looking at purchasing a new setup for making home videos, wedding videos and hopefully one day a music video.

My current set-up are consumer Canon HV30 and Canon Optura cameras and a MacBook Pro. I am looking at buying a Mac Pro 3.0 with either 4 or 8 GB RAM, Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme or the Kona LHe plus mini-converter for HDMI input, a Sony XDcam EX-3 and a JVC DT-V20L1U or DT-V17L2DU for color grading.

From reading the forums, it seems like the Kona is a favorite with Final Cut Pro users. Is the Kona LHe plus mini-converter that much better than the Decklink HD Extreme ($1000 more) ?

I would be using Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6 and Color) Apple ProRes codec and output mainly to DVD.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Shaun

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona LHe vs BM Decklink HD Extreme
on Jul 25, 2008 at 1:34:21 am

[Shaun Adams] "Is the Kona LHe plus mini-converter that much better than the Decklink HD Extreme ($1000 more) ? "

Yep.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Jul 25, 2008 at 9:46:51 am

kona and decklink cards give you the ability to connect a professional video deck for input and output and a professional monitor for viewing. for what you are doing (wedding videos, etc.) from file based sources you don't need one.
just use your computer monitors for viewing and bring in your file based footage from disk/drive/card whatever.
unless you're producing material for major network delivery, don't bother.

Paul Provost
http://www.postandbeam.tv

Return to posts index

Shaun Adams
on Jul 25, 2008 at 8:38:56 pm

Thank you for your replies. The card would be used for monitoring and color grading video with the Sony Ex-3 but the home video footage with the Canon HV30 and HDMI cable output would need the Kona or BM card as opposed to standard firewire capture.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]