FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Popping from Kona 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Paris
Audio Popping from Kona 3
on Jul 23, 2008 at 11:26:46 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm getting a popping noise coming from the Kona 3 that disappears when I turn on my HDCAM Deck. I've tried disconnecting the audio, SDI, RS422 cables and it still comes through, but when I turn on my HDCAM deck the noise disappears instantly as soon as the deck boots up.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know anything about it? For now I'm leaving the deck on to eliminate the popping. Thanks!

Bill Paris
Director of Photography
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Audio Popping from Kona 3
on Jul 24, 2008 at 12:01:30 am

What's your ref set to?

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Jul 24, 2008 at 12:21:53 am

Jeremy,

The reference was set to "video in"..... until I changed it to "Reference in" and Presto.... the problem is gone........ Thanks!

bp

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 24, 2008 at 2:31:24 am

damn it ! I wanted to go into my black generator rant !
GEN10's should be given out at birth !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:09:25 pm

Hey, Bob, have you had a chance to check out the new sync generator from Black Magic Designs? It's part of their mini converter line: http://www.decklink.com/products/miniconverters/

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:13:29 pm

blaspheme.....! ;-D

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:28:07 pm

I've got to find the garlic bulbs for protection....

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 25, 2008 at 2:06:03 am

I sure did, and it looks great - especially for $295 retail !!!
The only "problem" is that it cannot do tri level sync and NTSC black at the same time. Many facilities with 2 or more edit rooms need to have BOTH tri level and standard black at the same time (one room doing tri level, one room doing a regular job). So for a "larger" facility, the AJA GEN10 is still the smartest move. But for someone with no money, the Blackmagic is a no brainer.

I just feel bad for Horita - their days are numbered in this market, unless they drop their price to $150.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jul 25, 2008 at 2:38:18 am

Thanks, cuz!

For only about $100 more, the Gen10 is still a bargain. The fact that you can send tri-level & bi-level at the same time is actually pretty sweet, even for a smaller shop.

BTW, I emailed BMD for a manuals on a couple of their converter boxes just to see how the features stacked up against the comparable Aja boxes, and the reply was "Well, we think they're pretty obvious, so we don't actually have manuals for those particular things." Makes me want to spend a little more & buy Aja.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Jul 24, 2008 at 5:31:20 pm

Bob,

Here goes...... I have to ask..... Please give your "Black Generator Rant".

I have a sync generator... not the the AJA Gen 10 (It may actually be an older SD Black Burst Generator) .... after reading a couple of posts about sync it seems like I might need one? I'm using the Kona 3 via FCP/Intel MAC with a HDCAM deck and Betacam BVW70.
Am I suppose to send different types of black burst to the two decks? Does that burst have to match the timing of the timeline I'm working with? 23.98, 29.97, 59.94? I have seen sync issues between the Betacam and the HDCAM deck, but I really only use the Betacam deck for down convert dubs so I could live with it........ I would rather have everything working together in perfect HD/SD harmony!

Thanks!

Bill Paris

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 25, 2008 at 2:09:53 am

you did not say what HDCam VTR you have. If you do everything at 1080i 29.97 or 59.94, and NEVER EVER use 23.98 (you always do the 2:3 pulldown at the VTR), then you do not need the GEN10.

HOWEVER, if you work at 23.98, and master back at 23.98, you will ALWAYS be miserable, and your NTSC black gen will do nothing for you. You need SOMEONES tri level sync gen for this.

With that said, most of my clients never work at 23.98 (always use the pulldown), and only use their old NTSC black gen, with no issues.

If you have the horrible HDW-M2000 that does not offer 2:3 pulldown as an option, you are screwed, and yes, you will be buying a GEN10.

bob zelin

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Jul 25, 2008 at 2:25:01 am

Bob,

I use the HDW-S280 VTR and occasionally would like to work in 23.98. Most of the time I shoot and edit using the F900 at 30psf (29.97) so everything has worked fairly well. I'm a DP and editor so my system is a small stand alone workstation. Do you have any recommendations for a black burst generator that would be appropriate for a system my size?

Bill Paris

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 25, 2008 at 2:48:46 am

yes -
the HDW-S280 is the other piece of crap that Sony released that offered no 2:3 pulldown option (along with the HDW-M2000).
How they released the cheapo JH3 with standard 2:3 pd (no option), and of course the newer cheaper HDW-1800 with optional 2:3 pd, and NEVER for the HDW-S280, is beyond me.

In the past, I have used the Cobalt Digital 8021 to add a forced 2:3 pulldown, so I can input 59.94 into an edit system from the S280 or M2000, but since you dont want to spend $3000- JUST BUY THE AJA GEN10, and work at 23.98 (with tri level sync set to 1080i on the GEN10). When you have to output (to digi beta), you go to the Audio/Video settings in the AJA Playback controls and select 1080i29.97, and it will output at normal framerate for your digi beta dubs, etc.

You need the AJA GEN10 and the AJA DWP power supply.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Jul 25, 2008 at 2:53:30 am

Bob,

Thanks for the information. I was just reading your article on the Gen 10 and realized this is the box I should get. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me and everyone else on the forums!

Bill Paris

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jul 25, 2008 at 1:26:30 pm

Bob...

AJA said the check is in the mail for you commission... and thank you for such a good job!

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 25, 2008 at 1:23:44 pm

[Bob Zelin] "you did not say what HDCam VTR you have. If you do everything at 1080i 29.97 or 59.94, and NEVER EVER use 23.98 (you always do the 2:3 pulldown at the VTR), then you do not need the GEN10. "

A slight correction bob,
you do need Trilevel if you are laying to tape either 1080 @ 60p or 720p formats on to HDCam SR.

Sony needs the sync info for the greater than 30 frame progressive deliveries

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]