FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LS vs. Black Magic Deck Extreme for PCI

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Dean
Kona LS vs. Black Magic Deck Extreme for PCI
on Jul 20, 2008 at 1:16:56 pm

I'm considering a Kona LS or BlackMagic's Deck Extreme for use with a Mac G5 Dual with FCP Studio 2. I'm migrating up to HD but need to keep good quality (analog) SD as I do so, and I'm wondering what I should be considering to make a choice between the two.

One question revolves around this statement by Kona:

"Using superb quality 12 bit video A/D and D/A converters, analog formats like BetaCam SP have never looked better."

Blackmagic does not mentioning 12 bit video for analog, but does mention "...true 10 bit..."

Whichever I choose I need something that will fit the G5's PCI slots.

This may not be an issue and there could be other issue's I'm not aware of... and I'd appreciate any guidance in this arena. As I am primarily creative content (not technical) I just don't know...

Thanks
Dennis

Dennis Dean

Dennis Dean

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona LS vs. Black Magic Deck Extreme for PCI
on Jul 20, 2008 at 1:30:35 pm

[Dennis Dean] "'m considering a Kona LS or BlackMagic's Deck Extreme for use with a Mac G5 Dual with FCP Studio 2. I'm migrating up to HD but need to keep good quality (analog) SD as I do so, and I'm wondering what I should be considering to make a choice between the two. "

I'm assuming you've already done a Search on this topic and all the answers that Search brought up have not answered your query?

12bit analog video is not even possible, that's just marketing hype. But AJA is a true broadcast centric company with the best tech support in the business. I personally have tested BlackMagic and AJA products and the AJA products just work, they perform more true realtime functions and they just produce a better looking image. They also have a great "pass through" mode that allows you to use the Kona as a video conversion device independent of the computer.

Keep in mind whatever card you purchase for your PCI-X G5 will not work when you upgrade to a Mac Pro. So you'll need to spend the money all over again.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 20, 2008 at 9:13:47 pm

this is my advice to you. You need to contact a qualified dealer or freelancer that is familiar with putting together one of these systems. You will order this card, and be confused about everything - what slot to put it in, how to load the drivers, how to change settings using the control panels. And then - what disk drives to buy, which are fast enough for what you need. what monitors do you need, how do you hear the audio. there are COUNTLESS questions, and issues that will arise, and Creative Cow is no substitue for a professional that can help you, if you have absolutely no background in doing this for the first time.

Weather you decide to choose AJA or Blackmagic, I can assure you that you will have nothing but aggrivation if you just order this and "hope for the best". This is not like plugging in a firewire drive, where it just instantly mounts, and you go to work.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Jul 20, 2008 at 9:41:12 pm

Walter - thanks for the insight. Bob - thanks for the cautions and vote of confidence. Walter's note on support is important. I also noticed the Kona appears to come with installation and operation manuals - and software - Blackmagic has only a disk. It's no longer "weather" I purchase Aja or Blackmagic - I think I'll go with Aja's Kona LS.
thanks, guys -
dd

Dennis Dean

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 20, 2008 at 9:48:19 pm

[Dennis Dean] "I also noticed the Kona appears to come with installation and operation manuals - and software - Blackmagic has only a disk. It's no longer "weather" I purchase Aja or Blackmagic - I think I'll go with Aja's Kona LS. "

Do NOT install the software that comes on the disc. Go to AJA.com/support and download the latest driver for your card. These drivers are updated so often it's impossible to continually update the CD's.

Also, AJA's manual is on the CD, I believe only an installation overview is actually printed. Saves on paper honestly.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 20, 2008 at 10:43:03 pm

Dennis -
based on your response, I must urge you once again to rely on a dealer or freelancer for assistance. Both AJA and Blackmagic documentation is available RIGHT NOW for you on their respective websites. If you are not familiar with putting a system together, the purchase and installation of the Kona LS will be only ONE of the problems you will face in building this system. You must consider your computer, your RAM, your version of OS supported, your version of FCP, the drives you will use, your audio and video monitoring, as well as what source VTR's you will use for your system.

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Jul 21, 2008 at 12:12:45 pm

Good thought, Bob I'll go to their website and see what I'm in for... and see if I can find someone locally, as well.

Dennis Dean

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jul 22, 2008 at 5:18:31 pm

[Dennis Dean] "'m considering a Kona LS or BlackMagic's Deck Extreme for use with a Mac G5 Dual with FCP Studio 2. I'm migrating up to HD"

The Kona LS is SD only. BMD has an SD only card called Decklink Extreme, and they have an HD card called Decklink Extreme HD. If you want to use this particular Mac for HD, you'll need to get an HD card. See if you can find a used Kona 2 on Ebay. It's a much less expensive alternative, and the card will work in SD and HD.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Jul 23, 2008 at 1:28:30 am

Thanks, Arnie. This is helpful. One problem I've discovered is the G5 I'm using is PCI - which limits the cards it can take to SD, apparently. I'm looking for a used Kona LS - which will be cheaper - while I try to budget a MacPro quad.

DD

Dennis Dean

Return to posts index

Michael Alberts
on Jul 24, 2008 at 5:15:38 am

[Dennis Dean] " One problem I've discovered is the G5 I'm using is PCI - which limits the cards it can take to SD, apparently"

Totally incorrect. How do you think all us Kona users have been doing HD for the last five years. First with the KonaHD card and then the Kona2. We've been using a Kona2 for HD since it first came out. The computer it has lived in since it's inception was a dual 2.5 G5 with a PCI-X slot, which is what you have.

We've also got a Kona3-X in a dual 2.5 G5 and a Kona 3e in a Mac Pro. All our machines do HD. Uncompressed 10 bit HD down to DVCPro HD. There are no tradeoff in quality when you go with AJA.

Michael Alberts
Ambidextrous Productions, Inc.
http://www.ambidextrous.net

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Jul 24, 2008 at 10:38:45 am

My mistake - I should have written that my G5 is PXI-X - which is, apparently, what limits it to a Kona LS and SD from what everyone is telling me...

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-
http://www.deangroup.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]