FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Kona LHe to capture direct from HVX-200 via component

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Foregger
Using Kona LHe to capture direct from HVX-200 via component
on Jul 12, 2008 at 1:41:36 am

Hi all,
I've been searching the forums but haven't found anything on this yet. In search of a better key, I am trying to capture from the HVX-200 (720p 30p) directly into FCP using the component outs of the camera into the Kona LHe. I've tried a variety of presets, created some of my own, but haven't been able to capture video (I'm shooting for ProRes 422 HQ) that stays in sync.

I've gotten slow-motion captures and captures where the audio is ahead of video and the video of the clip is cut off at the end before I actually stopped capture.

Is what I'm trying to do possible? The camera is putting out 59.94 right? And since the HVX doesn't have SDI I can't remove the duplicate frames, right? Can I remove them after the capture?

Are people successfully doing this kind of capture? If so, how?

Ryan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Using Kona LHe to capture direct from HVX-200 via component
on Jul 13, 2008 at 5:06:41 pm

Yes, you have to capture 59.94.

While I have not done this with a LHe, I have done it with an ioHD so it's similar.

You need to select a 720p59.94 easy setup. AJA Kona LHe 720p59.94 ProResHQ (don't use the one with the Varicam at the end).

This should get your captures in sync.

You will have a much easier time keying if you can capture in ProResHQ rather than shoot to P2.

You should also try 10bit uncompressed if your drives can handle it as a litmus test.

I did this recently for a low budge 2 cam shoot and the results were favorable. Much much better than trying to do it off of p2. There's no easy way to remove the pulldown after capture with 720p material when captured in an analog stream. I'd say just edit 59.94 and save yourself the hassle.

Return to posts index

Ryan Foregger
on Jul 14, 2008 at 2:35:42 pm

Thanks. Do I set the camera at 720p60 or 720p30?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 14, 2008 at 3:32:39 pm

That's up to you. If you want the p30 look then set it to p30 and your footage will get recorded 720p60 with 2:2 pulldown. If you shoot 720p60, you'll get 60 discreet frames per second. It's totally up to you and the type of look you want.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]