FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing Slo-Mo from HDX900?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Zimbard
Capturing Slo-Mo from HDX900?
on Jul 9, 2008 at 5:23:47 pm

We have a production company that will be shooting an entire spot at 720 59.94P on the HDX900 that I'll be capturing with our Kona 3 at 23.98P to overcrank the footage. I'll be using a 1200a for capture. In the past when I've captured Varicam footage that was overcranked, I've always needed to mark my outpoint much later in time so that the full clip would be brought in properly and not chopped off. This worked fine when I had one or two shots that were shot at 59.94 and the rest was shot at 23.98. In this case the entire spot is being shot at 59.94 and and I feel like this is going to be a real mess to log and capture 2-3 hours of footage properly if I'm consistently having to make much later outpoints for my clips. Has any of this issue been resolved with Kona 3 and FCS2? I haven't dealt with DVCPro HD footage since Kona 2 and FCS1. If it hasn't, does anyone have any tips to make capturing go as smoothly as possible? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Mike

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Capturing Slo-Mo from HDX900?
on Jul 9, 2008 at 6:19:01 pm

In that case, it might be easiest to capture @ 59.94 DVCPro HD and do all the conforms with the Frame Rate Converter plugin. Otherwise, you'd have to shoot 15 minutes of tape or less, then roll off 15 minutes of tape or more.

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Jul 9, 2008 at 9:52:31 pm

Jeremy - thanks for the info. Please explain if I've got this. I would make my easy setup 720P Varicam DVCpro HD 59.94 and log and capture as normal. Then when all of my clips were captured, I would run each clip through the frame rate converter plug-in (is this still available on Panasonic's website?) to convert to 23.98. I would then load the converted clips into Final Cut and edit on a 23.98 DVCPro HD timeline. This would give me the overcranked look, but allow me to capture without having to post-roll all of my shots to allow for the difference frame-rate? Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 9, 2008 at 11:56:47 pm

[Mike Zimbard] " I would make my easy setup 720P Varicam DVCpro HD 59.94 and log and capture as normal."

Yep.

[Mike Zimbard] "(is this still available on Panasonic's website?)"

The plug in is now included with FCP after version 5.1.4 or so (I think). AT any rate, if you have FCS2, it's included no extra installing.

[Mike Zimbard] "This would give me the overcranked look, but allow me to capture without having to post-roll all of my shots to allow for the difference frame-rate?"

Yep, that's the idea.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Jul 10, 2008 at 2:24:17 am

Great. Will give it a try. Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]