FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync issue with Edit to Tape on downconversion

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Poisson
Sync issue with Edit to Tape on downconversion
on Jul 7, 2008 at 9:26:59 pm

Hey all,

I have a 702p project playing at 59.94 through an LH down convereting to SD letterboxed trying to go to a Beta tape. When I play it to my monitor it is all fine, but when I Edit to Tape it is out of sync by almost a second, the audio is ahead of the video.

Nothing I tried could fix this, BTW the deck is a UVW 1800, and the TC numbers seem to be locking up correctly.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Sync issue with Edit to Tape on downconversion
on Jul 7, 2008 at 9:43:59 pm

And how do you have your downconvert setup?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 7, 2008 at 10:06:32 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "how do you have your downconvert setup?
"

and have you RENDERED out your audio?
or at the very least mixed it down?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Jul 7, 2008 at 11:13:36 pm

Downconvert is setup like this:

Video playback in FCP is set to 720p 59.94, Kona is set to primary analog 720p59.94 and output to SD 29.97.

Yes everything is rendered, pretty sure I did a mixdown, but will check.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 8, 2008 at 1:55:18 am

You might check the audio output setting under the View menu in FCP. I ran into this today, because 720P can also use FW for I/O. I found that the video was going out through the Kona (as set), but for whatever reason, the audio thought it should go through FW and in the menu it showed up as "missing". Yet, the Kona still passed the audio out to the mixer, except - out of sync. When I changed the setting under the View menu to go out through the Kona card, all was fine.

Sincerely,
Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2008 at 2:54:10 am

[Chris Poisson] "Kona is set to primary analog 720p59.94 and output to SD 29.97.
"

Yeah, that's your problem. You need the output of the Kona (out of FCP) to be the same as your footage, then set the downconvert in the KOna control panel as it's the Kona that's doing the downconvert, not FCP. So, set your easy setup for 720p 59.94 and whatever codec you're using (such as AJA LHe 720p59.94 DVCPro HD) then open your Kona Control Panel. In the CP, right click on the analog output triangle and choose 'Secondary' then right click again and choose 525i29.97.

Should be good.

If you're not good, then something else is setup improperly, Oliver's advice is a decent place to start. Post back when the verdict is in.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Jul 9, 2008 at 2:49:17 am

Jeremy,

My footage is 1080 30p ProRes, and I'm in a 720p project so I can still pan and zoom etc. So there's no 720p project setting at 29.97, which is what your last advice recommends setting FCP's playback settings to, so I can't do that. Working at 59.94 seems to work, but I am noticing the sync drift now just playing back the timeline, not in ETT, but it's the same lag.

This is frustrating because it's so close to working, just no cigar. BTW I don't have a FireWire hooked up to this computer per Oliver's suggestion, and the video playback and audio settings are where they should be.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 9, 2008 at 3:02:45 am

No 720p30 setups are provided with the Kona, you have to make your own, true but:

Your timeline is 720p29.97 correct?

So, use a 720p59.94 easy setup that matches your sequence codec (I assume ProRes).

FCP/Kona will add the pulldown to conform to the 720p59.94 spec. Then in your analog ouput of the Kona Control Panel, set it to secondary and 525i29.97. Any new sequence you make, you will have to change the frame rate to 29.97 in the sequence settings.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 15, 2008 at 3:31:39 am

We saw the same sync issue with ANY ProRes codec. Redigitizing in DVCProHD solved the issue most of the time.

Seems intermittent on our system.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]