FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 2 and Pro Res 422

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Grant
Kona 2 and Pro Res 422
on Jun 30, 2008 at 2:50:48 am

I am considering the used Kona 2 for sale right now on the "For Sale" forum, but I am wondering how this will work with pro res.

Can I use the kona 2 for capturing pro res and will I get any of the hardware acceleration benefits the Kona 2 offers for DVCProHD? Or should I keep looking for a used KonaLH.

I want to use my G5 2.0 as a capture station, and then edit the pro res on a new MacPro.

Return to posts index

Gary Morris McBeath
Re: Kona 2 and Pro Res 422
on Jun 30, 2008 at 3:29:41 am

Hi Glenn,

No on the acceleration; I think the only AJA product that offers ProRes accel or processing is the Io HD.

As far as capturing, I think your G5 dual 2.0 might be a little slow; I run a dual 2.7, and I cannot capture (over HD-SDI) straight to ProRes; somewhere (here in the pasture I think) I saw a workflow for capturing direct to ProRes via firewire, but I've not tried it.

I should add that I work exclusively in HD. I capture uncompressed (or sometimes HDV), then use Media Manager or Compressor to convert the files to PR for smaller working files and backup.

You don't state what you are capturing, and whether via analog, firewire or SDI/HD SDI. That might give the info for others here to chip in.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary Morris McBeath
SaltAire Cinema Productions

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Jun 30, 2008 at 3:49:00 am

I am currently working mostly with HDV from a Sony Z1 camera. I have been capturing to ProRes via firewire. This works great on the MacPro, (real time) and OK on the G5 (about 25% slower)

I want to start working with some better formates than HDV, considering the EX3. I am also getting more projects from other sources on DCVProHD and HDCam. So I would like to add the abaility to use SD/HD SDI.

The G5 is still a good machine, I just want to get the most out of it. I might just keep using the MacPro for capturing and finish, and the G5 for off line and basic cuts.

*Maybe its just the imac that does the prores at about 25% slower.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2008 at 3:31:06 am

ProRes capture requires a quad core G5 at the very least, if not an intel:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305582

You will need to use your MacPro to capture ProRes.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Jun 30, 2008 at 4:10:14 am

Thanks Jeremy, No worries on the bad news. I guess I will just use the G5 for editing and not capturing.

But the Kona 2 would work for capturing DVCProHD via SDI with a dual 2.0 G5? Some project I get are on DVCProHD and I will be outputting to this as well.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2008 at 4:14:23 am

[Glenn Grant] "But the Kona 2 would work for capturing DVCProHD via SDI with a dual 2.0 G5?"

Without a doubt, it will work. Yes.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 4, 2008 at 3:37:00 am

[Glenn Grant] "ss I will just use the G5 for editing and not capturing.

But the Kona 2 would work for capturing DVCProHD via SDI with a dual 2.0 G5? Some project I get are on DVCProHD and I will be outputting to this as well. "

You will not likely be able to edit ProRes in HD either, with that machine. I have the same machine and it definitely cannot handle it...and I have a pretty fast RAID. It's definitely the processors....in fact I can do Uncompressed HD but not ProRes.

You will definitely be able to work in DVCPRO-HD. It works just fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]