FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA LH doesn't see ref

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Piers McDonald
AJA LH doesn't see ref
on Jun 27, 2008 at 3:51:44 am

We have an AJA LHe in a Mac Pro Quad Core, and for the life of me I cannot get the AJA card to see ref input.

We have the card connected to a KL box with ref coming from a Kramer SG-6005 BBG. I have tried connecting to either of the ref ports, with a terminator connected to the other port. I have tried different cables, I have tried different terminators.
The video standard in the AJA control panel is set to 625i25, the BBG is set to output PAL. I have checked the BBG signal on a waveform, and I can see the sync pulse.
I have tried connecting the composite output from a DVW-A500 to the ref in, I've even tried the original breakout cable instead of the KL box.

But the AJA control panel always says 'no video' in the ref input.

Other devices in our facility see ref fine from the Kramer BBG.

Running 10.4.11 with AJA v4.0 drivers (can't get video in to work using v5)

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: AJA LH doesn't see ref
on Jun 27, 2008 at 12:51:28 pm

[Piers McDonald] "Running 10.4.11 with AJA v4.0 drivers (can't get video in to work using v5) "

then there is something else weird with your system.

which FCP and Qt versions on your 10.4.11 box?

have you run the Aja conflict catcher app?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Piers McDonald
on Jun 27, 2008 at 1:29:44 pm

Something weird?

Well it's got an ATTO Celerity Fibre Channel card, a HighPoint SATA RAID card, an NVIDIA 7300GT and its also got a MOJO SDI attached. Everything apart from ref in works fine.

I have discovered the card is in the wrong slot. It's in the top slot and should be in the bottom, but I doubt that's going to solve the problem.

Running QT 7.4.5, FCP 6.0.3, didn't think it was relevant though as the card doesn't need FCP to function.

The card had been transferred from a Quad G5, but I couldn't get it to see ref either.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 27, 2008 at 3:31:27 pm

[Piers McDonald] "Running QT 7.4.5, FCP 6.0.3, didn't think it was relevant though as the card doesn't need FCP to function. "

It does need QT to function,

The Kona's will not run reliably on a MAC system with the avid software installed on the same OS volume.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Piers McDonald
on Jun 28, 2008 at 8:21:34 am

Well yes I assume it does need QT to function, but didn't think Final Cut mattered.

We have at least 7 AVID/FCP AJA systems and they all have run flawlessly for over two years.

What kind of problems do people experience, and is this really likely to affect the ref input?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 28, 2008 at 3:12:39 pm

of course, the AJA LHe could be dead. But these are other things to try.

1) are you using the AJA KL box? If you are, bypass this box, and go directly into the LHe card using the cable that AJA provided with this card.

2) if you are using the direct cable that AJA provided (and not using the KL box Reference IN jacks), it's possible that the breakout cable is bad. Or if it's extended to your house black generator with a BNC barrel - the BNC barrel may be bad.

3) take any composite video signal (like the output of a Digi Beta VTR in PLAY mode), and stick this into the Reference IN of the AJA.
Do you get a Ref IN indication on the AJA Control Panel - this will tell you if there is an issue with the Kramer black gen.

Like I said - no one is saying that you dont' have a bad AJA card. But you should try these simple tests first. AND, you said that you had other systems at your facility. Nothing is easier than "swapping out parts" from another system (like AJA KL boxes or AJA breakout cables) to confirm that there is no issue.

As you know, nothing is more common than bad cables, and bad BNC barrel connectors.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Piers McDonald
on Jun 28, 2008 at 3:42:41 pm

Thanks Bob,

Tried all your suggestions but it still ain't working.

Swapped cables, breakout cable, terminators, tried composite out of digi deck.

I still see 'no video' in the ref in on the AJA control panel.

Unfortunately despite the fact that we have multiple systems, they are of course all PCI-X, although I think there is a PCI-E intensity card floating around somewhere.

I was afraid there wasn't going to be any simple solution and it will just be the usual game of testing and replacing every single component until I work out what the problem is.

Fun, fun, fun.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 28, 2008 at 3:56:15 pm

[Piers McDonald] "I still see 'no video' in the ref in on the AJA control panel. "

Dumb question Piers..

I looked thru the posts and did not see an answer-

have you tried to right click on the "REF IN" triangle in the Kona Control panel and tried to change it manually?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 28, 2008 at 8:51:19 pm

Hey, you probably have a bad card. You have done all the right tests !

AJA will replace your card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Piers McDonald
on Jun 29, 2008 at 2:47:57 am

Thanks Gary,

I can definitely change the video reference in both the 'control' page and by right clicking on the yellow REF IN triangle to either video in, ref in, or freerun, but none of those options alter the fact that the ref in port always displays 'no video'

Thanks Bob,

I'm going to do a bit more testing, but I am starting to suspect the card. Of course this card is out of warranty, but we'll see what AJA says.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]