FORUMS: list search recent posts

which Kona card do I need

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Spencer
which Kona card do I need
on Jun 26, 2008 at 10:55:29 pm

I am a FCP editor on a MAC Pro and have just started editing in HD. Would like to hook up an HD monitor to watch my stuff in real time. I'm getting conflicting reports about what card is necessary for this. Can I just use the AJA Kona LH or do I need the Kona 3, which is about $1K more expensive?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: which Kona card do I need
on Jun 27, 2008 at 2:08:12 am

The Kona LHe is a very flexible card. It will not upconvert SD to HD. The Kona 3 is a hi end card that will upconvert, but it has no analog inputs, so if you need to capture VHS, DVD, Beta, 3/4" or analog HD, you will have to spend more money with a Kona 3 to make this happen. This is why the Kona LHe is a great choice for someone new in the business. With the Kona 3, you are paying more money for upconversion , and the ability to do dual link HD-SDI (for Sony SRW, etc.).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Russ Spencer
on Jun 27, 2008 at 2:11:56 am

Thanks for your input, but I still need to know ... will the LHe allow me to plug in an HD monitor so I can watch my HD video from FCP?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 27, 2008 at 2:13:59 am

[Russ Spencer] "Thanks for your input, but I still need to know ... will the LHe allow me to plug in an HD monitor so I can watch my HD video from FCP?"

Yes, the LHe is an HD card.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 27, 2008 at 2:30:46 am

will the LHe allow me to plug in an HD monitor so I can watch my HD video from FCP?

REPLY - yes
and to be fair to AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox, and MOTU, they will ALL let you plug in your HD monitor, and watch your HD video. They will all work.

Your HD monitor has analog HD component inputs. You take the Out Y Out Pr Out Pb BNC cables and plug them into the analog component input of your LCD or Plamsa monitor, and you will see HD. Does this make you happy ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Russ Spencer
on Jun 27, 2008 at 2:48:22 am

Great info, thanks.

Of the Kona, Blackmagic, Matrox and Motu, which is the least expensive option?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 27, 2008 at 4:59:50 am

Depends on the monitor you have. If you have an HD monitor with HDMI in, then the Decklink Intensity will work. If you have analog inputs, then the Intensity Pro is the option (http://www.decklink.com)

Then the Decklink Extreme and Matrox MXO are tied...but the MXO doesn't CAPTURE video...it is output only. However, the MXO works on your desktop computer, or your laptop, and will connect to an Apple 23" Cinema Display and get you broadcast quality color correction. As good as a Decklink or Kona and a real HD LCD or CRT? No...but then it also connects to the real HD LCDs or CRTs...and again, works with a laptop.

If inexpensive is what you want, then there are your options. I have the Kona LH and Kona 3 and love them. Yes, they cost more than the competition, but that cost gets you world class technical support, and in the case of the Kona 3, the ability to do what no other capture card can (cross convert 720 to 1080 and vise versa, and upconvert SD to 720p OR 1080i...Decklink only goes to 1080i, and does not cross convert).

Point being there are many cards to fit pretty much any situation. Get the one that best suits your workflow and price point.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
what's the cheapest thing I can get
on Jun 27, 2008 at 10:52:12 pm

"which is the least expensive option"

I feel that all cow leaders on every forum should be forced to put this on every response from now on, since the really the only question people really have -

WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST (drive, camera, capture card, HD VTR, monitor, speakers, microphone, SAN system) THAT I CAN BUY ?

Isn't this what Creative Cow is really about ?

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 28, 2008 at 12:50:45 am

[Russ Spencer] "Of the Kona, Blackmagic, Matrox and Motu, which is the least expensive option?"

I would check with a VAR or an online reseller and find out. Price is definitely not a deciding factor for everything, especially video cards but if this is your most important factor, just search the web and purchase the cheapest thing out there.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 27, 2008 at 12:48:39 pm

[Bob Zelin] "With the Kona 3, you are paying more money for upconversion , and the ability to do dual link HD-SDI (for Sony SRW, etc.). "

Cross Conversion ( 720 < > 1080), Dual Link 4:4:4 , RED support, 2K playback, Phantom Cine and DPX support (from Glue Tools)

If none of these functions are rarely or never needed, then stick to bob's recommendations for the LHE

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 30, 2008 at 4:40:40 pm

Russ if you absolutely don't need capturing, then get a matrox mxo from ebay used.

the cost has come down on those lately.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]