FORUMS: list search recent posts

horizontal title crawler downconversion ...

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthias Halibrand
horizontal title crawler downconversion ...
on Jun 24, 2008 at 9:50:36 am

Hey all,

I'm not sure if it's actually a problem with FCP or with the Kona3, but I'll post here, because noone without the Kona3 will be able to see the results I'm seeing. So here's what I' seeing in all of the episodes of the show I'm working on:

The material is ProRes422(HQ) in 1920x1080, field dominance is upper. So that's how my timeline in FCP 6.0.3 is configured. Kona3 is set to downconvert to 625i.

We have to deliver DigiBeta-PAL, but want to play out to HDCAM-Master, too.

The final titles have to be a horizontal crawl.

When I use Boris Title Crawl, the downconverted signal looks everything but nice to me, in fact it's almost unreadable. (size of font doesn't really matter)

When I use the same title in a PAL-sequence and monitor without Kona3-conversion it looks perfect.

If I park on one frame in the PAL-timeline letting the Kona3 display both fields, there are two different fields on the PAL-monitor.
Doing the same thing in the HD-timeline leads to a crisp "fullframe" title.
Even when I'm exporting a rendered PAL-movie and import that into the HD-timeline, my fields, which are rendered into the file are not visible anymore on the downconverted signal.

So does this mean that I have to playout the show in two versions, one for PAL and one for HD?
Ideally it shouldn't be needed, that's what I got the Kona3 for in the first place.

Thanks for your suggestions,

MatzeHali

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: horizontal title crawler downconversion ...
on Jun 24, 2008 at 1:35:59 pm

[Matthias Halibrand] "When I use the same title in a PAL-sequence and monitor without Kona3-conversion it looks perfect. "

Don't down convert graphics if you do not have to. ALL Graphics suffer degradation when being down converted. Most highend post houses produce a clean master with no graphics and then apply graphics on the converted video, They Just Look better.

[Matthias Halibrand] "f I park on one frame in the PAL-timeline letting the Kona3 display both fields, there are two different fields on the PAL-monitor"

50i is an interlaced format so what is the issue? - Do you have the Kona Control panel set under the codec tab to show frames or fields?

"So does this mean that I have to playout the show in two versions, one for PAL and one for HD? Ideally it shouldn't be needed "

That is the way the professional post houses do it, it just looks better.

Yes it is needed where 18pt type can work in HD due to the increased resolution, 18pt type in SD is unreadable and fonts upwards of 30pts are needed for some uses- Apple defaults to a font size of 36pts when you just create a Lower 3rd in the viewer.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]