FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad Output on Downcoverted Edit to Tape?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Adair
Bad Output on Downcoverted Edit to Tape?
on Jun 19, 2008 at 6:04:53 pm

I honestly don't do much laying back to tape these days, so this error caught me off guard and neither I nor the guys at AJA know what might be causing it, so I'm throwing it out for the Mighty Cow to troubleshoot!

I'm working in DVCPro HD 1080i 29.97 for my edit then outputting through a Kona LHe to Beta SP for air, using the Kona to do the downcovert. Playing out of the timeline- no problem. Using the "Print to video" function- no problem. Fire up the "edit to tape" window, and the Kona output goes magenta with big black hits. At the same time, the Edit to Tape window says "preview disabled".

I've tried unhooking any video outputs from the deck to eliminate possible video feedback and, at AJA Tech Support direction, changed my genlock to freerun, trashed FCP and AJA preferences and disabled third party plugins, all to no avail.

I ended up using Print to Video to output my show, but then needed to insert commercial spots that I was receiving on Beta SP. Strangely enough, I was able to use Edit to Tape and insert those spots with no problem, so it seems to be only with the downconvert. I don't remember this happening under FCS 1.X and under Tiger. I'm currently running FCP 6.03, Leopard 10.5.3 and using the latest Kona driver.

OK-- there's the facts-- let the Genius Fest begin!

Thanks in advance!

MediaWorks, Inc.
Your Image is Our Mission; 'On Target' is Our Mantra; Satisfaction is Our Manifesto

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Bad Output on Downcoverted Edit to Tape?
on Jun 19, 2008 at 6:25:32 pm

And when you actually went to go perform the ETT, it didn't work?

Return to posts index

Lee Adair
on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:33:35 pm

First time, I just got the magenta. I rebooted my system and went back into the project-- this time when I went into "edit to tape" the video cycled through red and green feedback. It actually performed the edit however; color bars generated through FCP looked fine, but the video was very jagged. And this time it also looked lousy using the "print to video" function.

MediaWorks, Inc.
Your Image is Our Mission; 'On Target' is Our Mantra; Satisfaction is Our Manifesto

Return to posts index

Bill Crocker
on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:20:50 pm

I had this happen to me once when outputing an animation codec timeline. Switched it to 8bit uncompressed, re-rendered and it worked fine. I am still at a loss as to what the problems was. (This was all in SD however)

Return to posts index

Lee Adair
on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:35:09 pm

Yeah, my output is 8-bit, but my last video output wasn't worth 2 bits (sorry...)

MediaWorks, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 19, 2008 at 8:47:14 pm

You're positive you have the down-convert setup properly?

I know it's a silly question, but stranger things have happened.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lee Adair
on Jun 19, 2008 at 8:54:45 pm

I believe so-- Walter has answered that one so many times that I think he probably mumbles the answer in his sleep. The odd thing is that the problem only exists in edit-to-tape mode; everything else works and looks fine...

MediaWorks, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 19, 2008 at 9:11:51 pm

[Lee Adair] "he odd thing is that the problem only exists in edit-to-tape mode; everything else works and looks fine..."

Except ETT causes the card to go into an different state than simply playing out video. When you open the ETT menu, it's basically in EE mode so that's all the noise/garbage you see as it's essentially feeding back on itself (that way you could hit play and see the incoming video from the deck after you ETT, it's handy). Now, once the ETT starts all that should go away is it switched to output mode and sending stable video instead of unstable confusion.

Let's just double check this and forgive me if this is redundant, but I'll say it anyway:

1> Set FCP in your HD easy setup by hitting control-q and choosing your HD format and frame rate.

2> OPen the KOna control panel and right click on the output icon that you need (which is probably analog) and choose secondary form the drop down menu, then right click again and choose 525i29.97

3> Try the ETT again.

By the way, I just had to layoff and HD Program to Beta the other day in Leopard, so I know this should work.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]