FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture Window showing letterbox?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chi-Ho Lee
Capture Window showing letterbox?
on Jun 17, 2008 at 9:58:36 pm

Hi Guys,

This may be a dumb question or dumb operator...

Using FCP 6.0.3 and Kona 3 to uprez a variety of SD to 720p tapes to 1080i UC 10bit. The FCP capture window is always showing a letterbox even though we're not letterboxing any of our clips via the Kona control panel.

It's bit misleading for the first tape since the first thing out of our mouths were "Crap! Why did they letterbox this tape?" When in actuality, the letterbox only shows in the FCP capture window. So is it operator error? Did we set something wrong in the Kona control panel or is this a bug?

Thanks,

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Video Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Trainer
http://www.chiholee.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Capture Window showing letterbox?
on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:01:41 pm

It's probably just a display discrepancy. Your video monitor should show you what the Kona is seeing.

Make sure you have the proper up conversion aspect settings chosen in the control panel.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 18, 2008 at 11:06:31 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's probably just a display discrepancy. "

You are capturing to a widescreen format, the capture window aspect is set by the format of your seq.
The Kona card knows what it is doing, It is FCP that does not.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:12:25 pm

[gary adcock] "It is FCP that does not. "

I'm shocked!

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:39:53 pm

This is completely normal as the FCP capture window is 4:3 and to show a 16:9 aspect ratio HD (or SD) picture it needs to 'letterbox' it for the display.

That's all to it.

Carsten

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:15:19 am

The capture window reflect the size and aspect of what is loaded in the canvas/viewer. Does not affect capture.

Return to posts index

Chi-Ho Lee
on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:34:31 am

Thanks for all the replies. Ultimately, we shoot a fed out of the Kona into a NTSC monitor to check. We did not initially do this because our final videos are for museum installations on LCD monitors and not CRTs and not for broadcast.

However, it is a bit misleading. The capture window should ideally reflect the aspect ratio what what you are capturing, in my opinion.

Many thanks,

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Video Editor

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jun 18, 2008 at 4:31:01 pm

[Chi-Ho Lee] "Ultimately, we shoot a fed out of the Kona into a NTSC monitor to check. We did not initially do this because our final videos are for museum installations on LCD monitors and not CRTs and not for broadcast."

You should always have a separate video monitor connected for just this type of reason. A properly configured broadcast monitor will always show you the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Chi-Ho Lee
on Jun 18, 2008 at 5:03:38 pm

[Arnie Schlissel] "You should always have a separate video monitor connected for just this type of reason. A properly configured broadcast monitor will always show you the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."

Yea, if it was up to me, I'd have one all the time. But budgets....and I ain't in control of it....

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Video Editor

Return to posts index

Chi-Ho Lee
on Jun 25, 2008 at 5:37:17 pm

Just wanted to follow with this post. Our capture window is not following what is load in the sequence nor Canvas. Since all our sequences and viewers are showing 16x9 HD clips. The capture window is still showing a faux letterbox.

CHL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 25, 2008 at 5:48:34 pm

[Chi-Ho Lee] "The capture window is still showing a faux letterbox. "

I think everyone here has pretty much said that this is normal.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]