FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kona 3 and GEN 10

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Dixon
AJA Kona 3 and GEN 10
on Jun 17, 2008 at 4:16:56 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm using AJA's Kona 3 and Gen 10 sync generator with multiple different decks. One is the SRW-5500, another is a DVW-A500, etc. I have talked to different techs about the correct setup of these devices to work properly and have been given entirely different answers. I just wanted to know what is the proper/correct setup between the 3 devices. Do I send a cable out of both Ref Loop slots of the Kona3, or just one, or what?

I'm using a MacPro G5, 10.4.11, 4GB memory, 2 x 3 Ghz quad core processors, FCP 6.03

Thanks,
Tyler Dixon

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AJA Kona 3 and GEN 10
on Jun 17, 2008 at 4:50:00 pm

You have to send different sync to different machines depending on if you want bi-level ot tri-level sync.

If the machines need the same level of sync, you can loop though, sure.

If different machines need different level sync, then you will have to run separate cables.

There are different output groupings on the Gen10 so you will have to set it up and run the cables appropriately.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tyler Dixon
on Jun 17, 2008 at 5:37:28 pm

So, let's use an example.
I'm making a HDCAM on the SRW-5500
Should I be sending:
1 bnc from the Ref Loop top 1st slot of the Kona 3 to the Gen 10 output and
1 bnc from the Gen 10 to the Ref In on the deck

or should I be doing this differently?

Also, I recently tried doing that same setup for a dvcam deck and selecting SD on the Gen 10, and under the AJA control Panel, --Control--Playback Timing--I selected Ref In and the 525 setting appeared in green color, yet when I went back to Final Cut to play the sequence, it would not allow me to. I had to resort back to Freerun under that Control Panel setting in order to be able to play my timeline and for it to the the real time down convert to the deck from 1080psf. But this is an entirely different scenario from what I listed above.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 17, 2008 at 8:05:58 pm

[Tyler Dixon] "So, let's use an example. "

Yes. Let's.

The Gen10 is outputs only. Your decks/Kona are the only ones that will loop through.

In your case, you can send reference from the Gen10 to the Kona and separately to the deck. Yes that will work as long as you have the Gen10 dip switches setup properly and you are coming out of the right outputs. You can also loop through the KOna and send ref from the Gen 10 to your Kona and then from your Kona to the deck.

As I said before, the output groupings can be different, namely 1-4 and 5-6.

Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:29:14 pm

As Jeremy said:
Signal flow is from the Gen10 to everything else. Lopp through is only for 'looping' a signal through a device if you do not have enough outputs on the Gen10 to feed all your devices.

get the Gen10 manual from the Aja website and set the dip switches so you have tri-level (HD) on one side (I use 5-8) and SD sync on the other side.

If you work in FCP editing HD connect one of the tri-level sync outs from the Gen10 to the Kona Ref in (make sure the dip switches match your HD format)

If your working SD in FCP use the SD sync out from the Gen10 to your Kona Ref in.

Now get new cables and connect tri-level (HD) sync to HD VTR's and SD sync to SD VTR's. Unless you have more VTR's then you have free outputs on the Gen10 DO NOT use loop outs on the VTR or the Kona!

Carsten

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
insert Bob Zelin rant here:
on Jun 18, 2008 at 3:23:42 am

get ready for a post!

Paul Provost
http://www.postandbeam.tv

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 18, 2008 at 3:28:19 am

[Carsten Orlt] "Unless you have more VTR's then you have free outputs on the Gen10 DO NOT use loop outs on the VTR or the Kona!"

Just curious, but why not?

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jun 18, 2008 at 6:10:22 am

it would work, BUT if you had a problem say with the last VTR in a chain you're never sure if it is the origin of the signal (Gen10) or a device in between or the problem VTR itself.
more a practical consideration then a pure technical one.

Carsten

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 18, 2008 at 3:37:02 pm

[Carsten Orlt] "more a practical consideration then a pure technical one."

Hmm, I guess I could see that. Nothing a barrel connector couldn't fix.

Tyler, make sure to check if your deck(s) have termination on the ref loop. Some have termination switches, some are auto terminated.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tyler Dixon
on Jun 18, 2008 at 4:28:53 pm

Thanks guys. This is clearing up most of my understanding. For that problem I listed with the SD setting, I thought I had to change the dip switch to match what I wanted to bring to tape, I didn't realize it had to correspond to my HD sequence in FCP because I was doing a real time down convert. I will try switching that back and see what transpires.

Just to make sure I understand what you pointed out;
Carsten, you said signal flow is from Gen 10 to everything else. On the Kona 3 breakout box, unlike the decks, I don't have anything that literally says "Ref In". Instead it says at the bottom, "Ref Loop." So does this mean, I don't need to send anything to the Kona box? Could I only send a signal from the Gen 10 to the deck?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 18, 2008 at 4:44:32 pm

[Tyler Dixon] "Could I only send a signal from the Gen 10 to the deck?"

No. Sorry, Carsten is misleading you a little bit.

Reference needs to go to your decks AND Kona. That's the point so that the different video devices are locked to the same timing.

You can use the loop out of the Kona if you want to, despite what Carsten says, that will ensure your reference signal path is terminated as well as most decks have a termination switch and the Kona does not (if you send ref to the Kona and don't loop out, make sure to put a terminator on the loop out).

[Tyler Dixon] "For that problem I listed with the SD setting, I thought I had to change the dip switch to match what I wanted to bring to tape, I didn't realize it had to correspond to my HD sequence in FCP because I was doing a real time down convert."

You reference needs to match the deck you are going to. If it's an SD deck, you need to send bi-level reference and you have to make sure that your deck is set to accept external reference and not internal.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jun 18, 2008 at 9:53:56 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Nothing a barrel connector couldn't fix. "

rest my case....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]