FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 Broadcast safe limiter?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Spangler
Kona 3 Broadcast safe limiter?
on Jun 13, 2008 at 8:05:16 pm

Is there any way for the Kona 3 to clip to broadcast safe on output? I have a bunch of HD footage that I would like to just clip instead of rendering again.

Is this possible? If not do you guys know how much a hardware limiter would cost? I would love to use one on output as a backup safety. The Avid Symphony was great because it had a limiter you could just switch on real-time, no rendering.

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Kona 3 Broadcast safe limiter?
on Jun 13, 2008 at 9:25:47 pm

We use the Harris 860 for HD and SD legalization. While I don't know the exact price, I thought I had overheard a price tag of about $9000. Bob Zelin would probably know if I'm wrong on that one, but it's a pretty kickin' legalizer.

Richard Sanchez
Arcadia, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Jun 14, 2008 at 4:27:53 am

We support both full range and SMPTE range in Rave using the AJA hardware (on the fly) so yes, no problem on the hardware side.

I'm guessing this is more of can the application support what the hardware can, than just if the hardware can.

We provide the ability to take full range and play it out as both full and SMPTE range, as well as offer the option of full range to be ingested in as either.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Jimmy Spangler
on Jun 14, 2008 at 8:06:25 pm

Ramona, thanks for the response...I am a bit confused though. Is Rave a software application or something? Please, cure my ignorance on this issue, I am very interested.

I am looking to have the Kona or some application clamp my levels to legal limits on output so I don't always have to use the broadcast safe filter and render.

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Jun 14, 2008 at 10:14:56 pm

Jimmy,

Rave is a turnkey software/hardware product. We use the AJA hardware, as well as many other components most are familiar with. Many years back we wrote the first Linux driver for the boards (before there was even a Kona or Xena line) and continue to develop our own driver for these (not because AJA isn't good but because we tie it into other devices and we like full control over every aspect of what we do).

You can check out the Rave product line here http://www.spectsoft.com/

We know this hardware intimately and work to insure the hardware delivers the utmost quality, no sneaky 10bit to 8bit, back up to 10bit stuff going on here. You want 10 bit, you are insured of getting it all the way thru the solution. (of course there are options to take it to 8bit if you wish)

Your requirement is one we are very familiar with, as most of our clients are all high-end facilities doing stuff for film-outs and or prime-time shows all working in 4:4:4 and the solution must have the ability to work in both full and SMPTE range accurately and or take full range down to SMPTE scale.

Please feel free to take a look at our info and contact me off-list if you wish.

Cheers,
Ramona
ramona at spectsoft dot com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]