FORUMS: list search recent posts

2K DPX playback problem with Kona 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arthur Puig
2K DPX playback problem with Kona 3
on Jun 10, 2008 at 2:15:43 am

I'm playing real time 2K on a ref movie done with the AJA QT wrapper in FInal Cut, in the Viewer window, playing at 23.98 2048X1556, with the 2K crop to 1920X1080. It plays flawlessly for 52 seconds, then it stops. If I play it in the timeline, then I get the drop frame error, which makes me think the problem is the raid.
But if I try the AJA System on my Raid, it shows write/read of 420/400 mb/s, I tried it on 16 gig at 2048X1556, and it sustains that speed.
Not sure how to try it on a file based test, since I cannot test a QT wrapper ( only 9 mb)

So I'm going to write my specs, hoping somebody can tell me where the problem could lie.

. Mac Pro Quad 2.66, 5GB RAM, ATI X1900XT

. Internal Raid level 0 with 5 disks at 1TB each (Hitachi Deskstar) on Raid Block size 32 MB. I'm using MaxConenct to add 2 more drives to the motherboard SATA ports)

. Kona 3

. Leopard 10.5.3

. Final Cut 6.0.3

The DPX files I'm testing right now where scanned with an ARRI scanner on 10bit RGB log, on a PC platform (Quantel system), I had to rename them and change the permissions properties since they were locked (I used Automator)
The entire content is 15 minutes of DPX files.

Another thought I have is how would it run on DPX rendered out of Color, I have to test that next.

Anyways, thanks for reading and I certainly would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Arthur Puig

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 2K DPX playback problem with Kona 3
on Jun 10, 2008 at 7:46:01 pm

[Arthur Puig] " It plays flawlessly for 52 seconds, then it stops."

Is that consistent? If so, I'd double check you DPX files in photoshop at around that time frame and make sure they're all good.

Return to posts index

Ruslan Akmanov
on Jun 11, 2008 at 1:47:40 pm

Hi Arthur,

I had same problems with 2K playback on 10.5.2 system. Then I upgrade to 10.5.3 and all things fine. I can playback 2.5 minutes of 2K in 25fps7 May be You have problems due to You play video from system drive? If You use 1 big RAID with 6 drives for system and video. May be You need Kona 3 5.1 NDD driver? Or may be You need to check preferences for sleep or etc.

best regards
ruslan_3d

Return to posts index

Ruslan Akmanov
on Jun 11, 2008 at 2:00:20 pm

Hi Arthur,

I had same problems with 2K playback on 10.5.2 system. Then I upgrade to 10.5.3 and all things fine. I can playback 2.5 minutes of 2K in 25fps7 May be You have problems due to You play video from system drive? If You use 1 big RAID with 6 drives for system and video. May be You need Kona 3 5.1 NDD driver? Or may be You need to check preferences for sleep or etc.

best regards
ruslan_3d

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Jun 11, 2008 at 5:01:50 pm

Not sure if this helps but hopefully it will help narrow it down.

First off, thruput is important, so yes make sure it is not coming from a system drive (doesn't work very well doing that)

DPX through the AJA hardware is spot on, we do it everyday, all day long so you can eliminate that. I would give AJA support a call, they are masters at helping.

Cheers,
Ramona
Rave - uses its own custom Linux driver for the AJA hardware

Return to posts index

Arthur Puig
on Jun 12, 2008 at 7:04:56 am

Thank you for all your answers. I'm actually using 10.5.3 with Kona 3 5.1 NDD when I noticed this problem, and the Raid is internal but not a system drive, I only have footage in it. I tried also other spots of that DPX sequence, and still stops after a minute or so.
But then I tried this, from that QT wrapper I exported a self contained QT movie, at the same specs, 2048X1556 23.98 RGB 10bit, and it plays at least for 5 minutes straight. I checked the properties, and everything matches the wrapper, so my guess has to do with the fact that a wrapper is making a reference to he DPX files, and somehow along the way there's a bottleneck with that. I tried again to do a system check with the AJA thing utility, and it mantains al least 370 mb/sec.
Another that helped a lot is adding the RAID in the privacy section of spotlight. Then who knows, maybe I have a lot of software running in the background, I should try a clean partition, in the meantime I'll call AJA

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]