FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona RAID level... polling the forum?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Ives
Kona RAID level... polling the forum?
on Jun 8, 2008 at 7:58:29 pm

Up until now we have been using RAID 0 for most of our RAIDS. It seems we can never have too much throughput with HDCAM, etc. Now we're setting up a new 8-drive RAID, so I thought I'd poll the collective genius here:

Are most of you using RAID 0... RAID 5... RAID 6? Whatever thoughts, recommendations, wisdom, warnings, etc. that anyone cares to share would be appreciated...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona RAID level... polling the forum?
on Jun 8, 2008 at 10:20:44 pm

Well, I personally use raid 4. If you're array supports raid 5, I'd say do that. Raid6 takes out two drives therefore cutting your capacity way down.

Raid 0 is a gamble. Swim at your own risk. You lose one drive, you lose the entire array.

What array do you have? What codec do you capture to?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 9, 2008 at 1:19:32 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] " If you're array supports raid 5, I'd say do that"

I agree, however if you are in a real fault tolerant place nothing beats raid 6

most of my arrays( 6 of 8) are at RAID 6 the other 2 only support raid 5 so they use that

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 9, 2008 at 9:08:24 pm

If you use the ATTO R380 card (Sonnet product line), you will use RAID 4, which is like RAID 5, but does block level RAID. This is the most popular. RAID 6 lets 2 drives fail, and you can keep going, but you loose at least 2 of your drives for backup (and more for the redundancy of the compressed data), and the thruput of the drive array (how fast the drive is) goes down. Modern 8 bay drive arrays from Dulce, Maxx, Cal Digit, G-Tech, Sonnet, etc. are all super fast, and all offer RAID protection. Choose one of these good companies (or even the Apple/Promise VTrak at it's insanely high price), and you will be very happy with the performance.

The people who suffer continue to use single Lacie FW800 drives. Everyone using modern 8 bay RAID arrays from any of the good companies are flying along with no issues.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jun 9, 2008 at 10:33:00 pm

RAID 0 but I do have backups of everything on other storage drives. My RAID is too small to run it RAID 5 at this point. Once I upgrade the drives to larger drives, will be going RAID 5.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 9, 2008 at 10:36:54 pm

RAID 0 is great, but is not so great when a drive fails (as everyone else has said in this thread). Some people NEVER have failures with RAID 0, others have failures on a regular basis. This is why you see people say "so and so SUCKS" - because they lost a drive, when countless others never have an issue.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jun 9, 2008 at 10:43:28 pm

Yes, I agree, RAID 0 is living dangerously. Fortunately I am not an editor by trade and just use my system for occasional projects for clients. If I were an editor, I wouldn't chance RAID 0, it's for cheap dummies like me ;-). It's an eight drive RAID 0 that I built also so there eight chances for this thing to crash and burn.

At least I hae it all backed up on storage drives.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Jun 10, 2008 at 12:36:09 am

I followed Bob Zelin's advice when I was setting up my system and went with RAID 5. As he indicated above, everything has gone swimmingly ever since; no problems.

That being said, before there was a RAID 5 I used to work with RAID 0 arrays. Frankly, never had a problem with them either.

But I really like the safety of RAID 5.

Lee

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 10, 2008 at 3:21:31 am

[Ron Craig] "I used to work with RAID 0 arrays. Frankly, never had a problem with them either."

And it's not until you have a problem that you realize what you are paying for.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Olivier Aubut
on Jun 11, 2008 at 3:29:35 pm

I use a HUGE by Ciprico that only does RAID 0 and 3. I recently had a disk that failed, so I replaced it with a new one and the HUGE rebuilt RAID in an hour. Now to me this is pretty fail safe. What are the advantages of working with RAID 5 over RAID 3 ?
Olivier

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 11, 2008 at 7:28:50 pm

They are both basically the same concept with some slight differences. Raid 3 stores the parity information on one disk, which some say might cause a bottleneck, but it's not really enough to cause any major problems with the disk. Your HUGE is well capable of uncompressed 1080i video. Raid 3 is similar to Raid 4 in that there's a dedicated parity disk, but the information gets written differently for each raid level. Raid 5 distributes the parity information all over the raid, which means that there's no more bottleneck. Some say it causes better speed. In my tests which I first got my RAID, Raid5 didn't out perform Raid4 so I stuck with Raid4. Honestly, it doesn't really matter as long as you are getting enough throughput to play back your media and that your raid is protected with whatever level of protection, be it raid 3, 4, 5 or 6.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Jun 10, 2008 at 2:43:54 am

RAID-5. Spares on the shelf. Works for my level of risk.

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Jun 11, 2008 at 6:21:37 pm

RAID set up really depends on the application and the hardware.

RAID 0 can be used when the video is view as temporary. "I put it here to print it there", "I just need to see my work". "I have a backup"

The advantage is there is no rebuild time if a failure occurs. Some may be able to move the backed up content back onto the unit FASTER than it takes to do a rebuild.

RAID 5 offers the ability to loose a drive in the array without loosing the content. Depending on the thruput of your array, you may be able to play content even with a dropped drive, which does not shut you down for hours.

The disadvantage is yes, the rebuild time. Not a disadvantage if your rebuild can happen in the background and your unit can still be used while doing so. If it is not up to par, then you will be dead in the water for hours (the time will depend on the total capacity of your unit).

We have some customers running a Rave in both Raid 0 and Raid 5, since we offer two arrays on every unit and with mirroring and syncing they really get the benefit of both worlds. Oh they are all so clever......

Others run completely in RAID 0, others all in RAID 5.

There is no right or wrong answer here or a black and white one. It all depends on your workflow and the tools, hardware and expertise you have in it.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Scott Shucher
on Jun 12, 2008 at 4:48:36 pm

So no mention anymore of RAID 3. Is the faster write speed of the RAID 5 that much of an advantage that I should think about re-formatting my RAID 3 drive. With a write speed of 360mb/sec in Raid 3, that certainly seems like enough.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]