FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this possible?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Kerfeld
Is this possible?
on Jun 6, 2008 at 4:06:44 pm

Is it possible to effectively capture Varicam and HD footage WITHOUT investing in a breakout card? I'm a bit of a newbie to the game but was curious if one had a decent RAID and plenty of ram if Varicam/HD capturing without a card was possible.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Is this possible?
on Jun 6, 2008 at 4:28:25 pm

through firewire 400 this is possible.

Return to posts index

Jordan Kerfeld
on Jun 6, 2008 at 4:38:29 pm

I've heard it is possible on Varicam but for HD (footage from chip based cameras)?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2008 at 5:21:43 pm

[Jordan Kerfeld] "(footage from chip based cameras)? "

Buy chip based, do you mean tapeless or CCD/CMOS instead of film?

Return to posts index

Jordan Kerfeld
on Jun 6, 2008 at 5:28:44 pm

I simply meant tapeless (our company is looking at the Sony XDCAMEX for instance)

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jun 6, 2008 at 5:37:37 pm

If you're working with tapeless systems, the capture card is used to monitor while you edit, and for final delivery.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 9, 2008 at 1:13:44 pm

[Chris Borjis] "
through firewire 400 this is possible.
"

I am sure someone else answered this but

How?
there is no firewire connection on the varicam...

it is not possible to capture from a varicam without a capture card or a deck.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jun 6, 2008 at 4:49:57 pm

You would use Panasonic's AJ-HD1400 VTR to connect via firewire for digitizing without a capture card. But having a capture card allows you to monitor the footage on a broadcast monitor as you edit, and it also allows you to output to other formats, like HDCam.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Matthew McNulty
on Jun 6, 2008 at 8:26:55 pm

i have an LHe that has never ingested a darn thing... HVX200 + Firestore = fun again!... lhe is for as mentioned monitoring... and basically outputting to almost any flavor of SD or HD...

and not a waste of money at all it has staying power IMHO

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 6, 2008 at 11:07:34 pm

but can't I do everything you guys do, without spending one penny?
Why do I always have to spend money? Can't I do hi end HD jobs without spending any money ? My boss says that my salary of $22,000 a year is too much as it is, and he doesn't want to spend any more money, but we have all these 1080i uncompressed HD jobs that we have to deliver on SRW-5500 VTR's for a major show we are doing ? Can I use firewire for that ? Can one of you guys just lend me your SRW5500 for the day ? We will put your name in the credits of the show - I promise. My copy of FCP Academic is having issues with the new Kona driver anyway (my friend let me borrow his Kona card, so I could see what it does).

Anyway, thanks, and let me know about that SRW-5500. I can pick it up if you give me your address.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jerry Alto
on Jun 6, 2008 at 11:50:24 pm

Bob- Can I use it after you? Oh, my cars broke down would you mind bringing it by the house.... and hey, there is a Latte stand drive through just around the corner .... would you mind picking up a triple shot tall.... drive fast so it doesn't get cold.

Thanks man... I've missed the levity!

Jerry

G5 Dual 3GB Ram
FCP5 Studio
External 1 TB SATA Raid 0
Kona LH, Second system w AJA ioLA
Sony Z-1

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Jun 6, 2008 at 11:55:15 pm

Thank you Bob. One person here you have not offended at all.
One of our major studio clients were upset recently at our price of producing qt files when they found out... "But this guy says he'll do them for $30 bucks each"
Okay, I say, should I send him D5 or digi?
"Oh..."

:-)

you gotta pay to play!

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Jun 10, 2008 at 12:42:12 am

I shouldn't write anything here after reading Zelin's classic response. So true. But I'll add one thing to the suggestion of using Firewire via and a Panasonic 1400 deck. When I rent that deck I pay $350/day. (And I'm using it, by the way, with a Kona 3 card; not with Firewire.) I think most rental houses around here charge even more than that for a day's rental. At those prices, it's not long before you've paid for a Kona 3 card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]