FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beta Cam Uncompressed Capture with LHe at 720 x 480.

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Clarke
Beta Cam Uncompressed Capture with LHe at 720 x 480.
on Jun 4, 2008 at 2:00:14 pm

In the past using AJA LO and FCP, i've been able to capture Uncompressed 8-bit SD at 720 x 480 to mix with some DV footage to export for DVD. Now with the Kona LH using component inputs I am unable to capture at that frame size. Even by modifying the frame size in the AJA presets or creating a new capture preset from scratch the video is captured at 720 x 486. If I change the capture preset to DV, it will capture at the correct frame size, but the wrong codec. Am i missing something in the AJA control panel or some setting in FCP? Is there a way to force the Kona to capture at a different size?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Beta Cam Uncompressed Capture with LHe at 720 x 480.
on Jun 4, 2008 at 2:43:26 pm

[Chris Clarke] "n the past using AJA LO and FCP, i've been able to capture Uncompressed 8-bit SD at 720 x 480"

That is not my experience.

Uncompressed has always been captured at 720x486 (SMPTE spec for this format) - the DV footage is 720 x480 as the DVD final will be.

My guess is you dropped the UC footage into the DV timeline with the compressor changed to the DV frame size originally.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Chris Clarke
on Jun 4, 2008 at 2:53:13 pm

[gary adcock]"My guess is you dropped the UC footage into the DV timeline with the compressor changed to the DV frame size originally."

Good guess, but i assure you I can capture Uncompressed 8-bit at a 480 frame size. Edit in an uncompressed timeline at 480, drop DV in later, happy as a clam. Just figured a newer capture card could match features of the older box.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2008 at 2:59:11 pm

WHy don't you just capture and edit @ 486 and throw the 480 in later? Just make sure that the 480 doesn't scale up but rather shifts up or down a pixel. Upon sending your 486 to compressor, it will appropriately crop your 486 to 480.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 5, 2008 at 1:31:34 pm

[Chris Clarke] "i assure you I can capture Uncompressed 8-bit at a 480 frame size"

I did not say that it could not be done. I checked with Aja, there are no AJA presets for an uncompressed capture at 720x480 only at 720 x 486, even ProRes is 720x486 upon capture-

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jun 5, 2008 at 3:35:47 pm

So far as I know, FCP & Aja have never provided presets for uncompressed at 720X480. I'm guessing that you must have made your own capture & timeline presets for the old system. Now that you've upgraded, you can try making these presets again, I'd expect it to work in much the same way as it did before.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Chris Clarke
on Jun 5, 2008 at 4:16:04 pm

I know there is not a preset. I even stated in my original post that I modified a preset for IO to get uncompressed at 480, but was unable to get the same results by modifying the preset for the LH.

I think Jeremy has the best advice to edit in a 486 timeline and drop in my 480 footage. FCP even shifts it up one line automatically.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 6, 2008 at 12:23:16 am

[Chris Clarke] "I think Jeremy has the best advice to edit in a 486 timeline and drop in my 480 footage. FCP even shifts it up one line automatically."

thats what I do in that situation. works fine.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2008 at 4:03:12 am

[Arnie Schlissel] "Now that you've upgraded, you can try making these presets again"

I wouldn't. FCP is not expecting it, the codec is not expecting it, the Kona is not expecting it and your aspect ratio conversion can suffer as as result. Uncompressed and ProRes is built around 486 lines, dv is 480. There's a difference, a slight difference, but enough to make one.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]