FORUMS: list search recent posts

2K media at 25fps

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Davis Silis
2K media at 25fps
on Jun 3, 2008 at 10:08:06 am

Has anyone had any experience with using 2K media running at 25fps on the Kona3? Since most commercial work in Europe that originates on film is shot at 25fps and goes on to be finished at 25fps, I'd like to find out if anyone has used the Kona3 to work with 2K files and maintain the 25fps through to finishing.

When contacting AJA, I got a reply saying that it was possible through a custom setup -- has anyone successfully done this?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: 2K media at 25fps
on Jun 3, 2008 at 1:27:46 pm

[Davis Silis] " I'd like to find out if anyone has used the Kona3 to work with 2K files and maintain the 25fps through to finishing."

Dave
I have done a fair amount with the Kona card at 25p in 444 and in 2K DCI with my kona setup- but someone else does the finish so I deliver DPX.

my first suggestion would be to stay in a frame based workflow - QT still seems to have issues with RGB content- so sticking to the traditional workflow is the simplest way to go.

Also - take a look at the the new versions of Glue Tools- by far the best DPX tools for your Mac.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Davis Silis
on Jun 3, 2008 at 8:17:24 pm

Gary,

Thank you for the response and suggestions. Glue Tools is in fact what I've been looking at for DPX, and the features look terrific.

One further question -- as you've had experience working with 2K at 25fps, I assume you've been able to monitor without a problem via the Kona at 25fps (to a 2K projector)? Or have you monitored via HD at 25fps?

Thanks again for your response.

Davis

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Jun 3, 2008 at 10:29:57 pm

Davis,

Works on our side. Like Gary said, frame based (DPX) makes all this a non-issue.

Best of luck,
Ramona
Rave gone global - watch for upcoming announcement

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 4, 2008 at 11:31:19 am

[Davis Silis] "I assume you've been able to monitor without a problem via the Kona at 25fps (to a 2K projector)? Or have you monitored via HD at 25fps?"

davis

As Ramona says, its not an issue either way I have done 2k at 1152 (RED) and at 1080 (DCI), the great thing with the Kona/ Xena cards is they also have the ability to crop the "true" 2K frames sizes so that they can also play on standard 1920 x1080 HD displays- so you have the best of both world.

Also - GlueTools does install presets for 2K 25p/sF as part of the new installer for FCP - sweet eh?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Davis Silis
on Jun 4, 2008 at 4:01:06 pm

That's terrific. Thank you both for your insight.

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Jun 4, 2008 at 7:03:48 pm

The AJA boards are very good and just continue to exceed the needs of high-end work. I would like to add that the app using them has much to do with how well the boards work. Not all apps are created equal or perform the same way.

We like to push these boards to their fullest potential and will continue to find new ways to do so.

Enjoy and embrace the world of frame based workflows, you will be surprised at just how simple it can be.

Cheers,
Ramona

Rave products - Native DPX from the start
http://www.spectsoft.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]