FORUMS: list search recent posts

pause in FCP shows brighter on monitor

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Dixon
pause in FCP shows brighter on monitor
on May 31, 2008 at 7:39:50 pm

I am using FCP with AJA Kona 3, Gen 10 for tri sync and a JVC DT-V24L1D 24" monitor with SDI in from the kona. In FCP when editing (1080osf23.9 HDcam SR footage), the JVC jumps to a brighter picture when I stop playback (pause) in FCP. Is there a setting I am missing? I am pretty sure I have everything set correctly in FCP and Aja. But obviously not.

Gary

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: pause in FCP shows brighter on monitor
on Jun 2, 2008 at 2:55:23 pm

Hey Tyler, I mean Gary.

This is the 444 stuff correct?

Couple of thoughts, turn off the range check in FCP (control-z). That can sometimes produce that kind of error.

What codec did you capture to?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gary Alan
on Jun 2, 2008 at 3:10:45 pm

range check is off. I tried another capture today and the same thing happens. It only happens on the AJA 10 bit uncompressed Log RGB from a Sony HAcamSR using 444 footage. I used an older 10 bit uncompressed 422 shot and this doesn't happen there.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 2, 2008 at 3:21:29 pm

You might want to hit up AJA support on this as this is a bit beyond my current work flow, but I'd imagine that it has something to do with the RGB to YUV nature of FCP editing. When paused you are seeing the shift from RGB to YUV. This is of course assuming that everything is setup properly. You don't see it on the 10bit Uncompressed 422 as that video is YUV already. Perhaps there's some sort of force RGB function for the Kona, but again, I am unsure of the process. Sorry for that.

It sure makes color correction fun though, eh?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 2, 2008 at 4:29:30 pm

[Gary Alan] "It only happens on the AJA 10 bit uncompressed Log RGB from a Sony HAcamSR using 444 footage. I used an older 10 bit uncompressed 422 shot and this doesn't happen there. "

Gary is it the FCP RGB vs YUV

what is going on is everytime you stop playback FCP reverts to the simplest form of video it knows - and that would be 8bit YUV- thats why the color space looks correct when playing but jumps noticably when the video stops.

you are working with RGB footage and when you pause playback the RT engine kicks in, in YUV,.

it is a well known issue and will not effect your output- but YES it is very very annoying.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Gary Alan
on Jun 2, 2008 at 5:54:18 pm

Gary,

That sounds about right. Thank you for the explanation.

Best regards,
Gary

Return to posts index

Tim Young
on Jan 16, 2009 at 6:24:24 am

Ok, so I am encountering the same problem. I am working off of my laptop next to my boss on his editing bay. I am working ahead merging clips and syncing audio, but when I transfer the projects to him we are seeing this color changing problem.

When he does it on his station this problem does not exist, but when the project comes through my station the color problem is there. Like I said, it only happens if he opens the project after I save it.

Is there anything we can do? And why is this happening on my computer but not his? Has FCP updates solved this problem? If so, why doesn't his station correct the problem.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 16, 2009 at 3:16:35 pm

Are you working in 444 as well?

Return to posts index

Tim Young
on Jan 16, 2009 at 5:27:45 pm

It is 444 footage, but we are editing in 442. The weird thing is that we looked at all possibilities last night, and when they were all exasperated we opened the project again and the problem was gone. I don't know if this is going to happen again? Sooooo weird.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]