FORUMS: list search recent posts

K3, 8-Core, ProRes422 = codec not found...

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
e. eric johnson iii
K3, 8-Core, ProRes422 = codec not found...
on May 28, 2008 at 4:54:34 am

the error message continues: "You may be using a compression type without the corresponding hardware card." the error message occurs when rendering is about 35% complete.

i'm using the kona 3 720p/59.94 prores422 easy setup on FCS2 with 16gigs of RAM in an octo-core mac pro. the media is all still tiff files with the so called ken burns effect applied. there are 6 layers, but nothing complicated within those layers.

i have done restarts, complete shutdowns, different sequences and repaired my permissions all to no avail. also, i have used the 1080i/29.97 prores422 with video and many layers of graphics with no trouble.

i'm sure it's something simple, it's just not obvious enough for me. all help is greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance & glory to the cow.

eric

e. eric johnson iii
eric@lillmonster.net
LILL MONSTER MOTION PICTURES
principal, producer-director-camera

now in post production - START 2 FINISH: What It Really Takes to Race A Bike

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: K3, 8-Core, ProRes422 = codec not found...
on May 28, 2008 at 11:30:40 am

How much RAM in the machine? You should have at least 8 in that machine.

I'm asking because if you have 4GB of RAM, that is the magic number for all sorts of rendering issues with Final Cut Pro and Mac Pros in particular.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Scott Shucher
on May 28, 2008 at 6:13:21 pm

That's the first I've heard about needing 8 gigs of RAM to keep the MacPro 8-core happy with a Kona 3.

I'll be firing up a new system this weekend with 4 gigs of RAM and a Kona 3. Most of my work is FCP, with Motion sometimes running at the same time.

Anyone else running the MacPro 8 core with a K3 on only 4 gigs O' RAM seeing issues???

G5 2.5ghz DP, 2.5Gbyte RAM, FCP 6.0.2, OSX.4.11
QT7.3, Kona2 (v4.0) w/Kbox, Atto UL3D, Medea RTRX640, Huge MV 1.8Tbyte, Radeon 9800XT

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 28, 2008 at 1:48:07 pm

[e. eric johnson iii] "the error message continues: "You may be using a compression type without the corresponding hardware card." the error message occurs when rendering is about 35% complete.
"

hey eric...

check the Tiffs, my guess is one or more of them are most likely 16bit and fcp cannot handle them.

I would start looking at the TIF stack at the point the renders fail, I bet there is something in the file that is blocking you ( or that the format of the files changes at that point.)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 28, 2008 at 2:59:35 pm

[gary adcock] "check the Tiffs, my guess is one or more of them are most likely 16bit and fcp cannot handle them. "

Agreed, either that or CMYK.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 28, 2008 at 9:44:55 pm

CMYK is the usual culprit. Enough to be a stock answer...

#14 Codec not Found

Shane's Stock Answer #14: Codec not Found

If you get a CODEC NOT FOUND missing hardware check ALL your images in Photoshop and make sure there are in a RGB color space NOT CYMK, LAB, OR GREYSCALE

I have 4GB of RAM in my MacPro and the Kona 3. NO issues. But I don't work with ProRes either.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.LFHD.net
Read my blog!

Return to posts index

e. eric johnson iii
on May 28, 2008 at 11:23:51 pm

first of all, thank you to everyone who chimed-in to help... it's always much appreciated, and well, needed!

after checking all the files were 8-bit... except for one. i changed the lone CMYK image to RGB and all is now rendering. heck, it even played after the render!

next time i'll check the stock answers, but it didn't come up when i searched "codec not found" prior to posting.

i don't know if it was in my original post, but i have 16gigs of ram.

again thank you for the save!

-eric

e. eric johnson iii
eric@lillmonster.net
LILL MONSTER MOTION PICTURES
principal, producer-director-camera

now in post production - START 2 FINISH: What It Really Takes to Race A Bike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]