FORUMS: list search recent posts

KONA Newbie questions

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Hartel
KONA Newbie questions
on May 27, 2008 at 6:35:43 pm

1. Maybe for Bob Zelin specifically, but any of you other experts feel free to chime in: I've got my Kona LHe plugged into the second slot of my MacPro (2.66 Intel). I noticed yesterday browsing the Kona forum that Bob Zelin is adamant about not placing it there. Help.

2. This is going to sound terrible to all you guys who have better equipment: the only decks I have are DV. I don't normally have to master to them, I hand off the project usually after the offline edit, drive and all. I've been using the DV decks for my own stuff. Sony DSR-40 and 45. However, a present project headed for the web, needs me to master to the DSR-45. A couple of weeks ago I printed to video via Firewire; all that was fine, but I hated not being able to do a professional output at 1 hour. So I got a deal on a Kona LHe with breakout box. Three days ago I installed it, plugged in the harness, recognizes everything, but eventhough the RS-422 is plugged into the deck, when I print to video, the deck ignores the output. WORSE, I uncabled the Kona from the deck and reattached the Firewire and tried to output it again that way, NOW the Firewire no longer controls the deck at all. (On output. Capture seems fine.) I can crash record but that's going to make a mess with the TC. Not that I could ever get it to start at 1 hour via Firewire, but I have been able to time out the bars, blacks and slate to get it to start on an even minute. Now I can't control that. What the heck happened? Does the Kona card being in the computer, even when unattached, interfere with normal Firewire communication? Am I missing some basic configuration set up? Could be. The manual doesn't really cover specific decks. These guys have no money to rent a Digi or anything and have got a friend who's going to DaVinci color correct. I'd love to be able to at least put out these episodes through Firewire the same way I did last time, but now seems kaput. Any and all suggestions are welcome, please.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: KONA Newbie questions
on May 27, 2008 at 10:22:07 pm

you write -

1. Maybe for Bob Zelin specifically, but any of you other experts feel free to chime in: I've got my Kona LHe plugged into the second slot of my MacPro (2.66 Intel). I noticed yesterday browsing the Kona forum that Bob Zelin is adamant about not placing it there. Help.

REPLY - Lesson # 1. Never listen to Bob Zelin. If you have a NEW MAC Pro, with all x16 slots, AJA recommends that you install your Kona LHe card in SLOT 2 of your MAC. If you have the "old" MAC Pro (with the slot speeds assigned by the Expansion Slot Utility), this si where Bob Zelin is "adamant" about placing it into SLOT 3 (not slot 2). You Expansion Slot Utility for the "old" Mac Pro is set for x16 for the graphics card, nothing in slot 2 (x1), Kona LHe in Slot 3 (x4 lane), and Storage disk drive host card in slot 4 (x4 lane).

2. This is going to sound terrible to all you guys who have better equipment: the only decks I have are DV. I don't normally have to master to them, I hand off the project usually after the offline edit, drive and all. I've been using the DV decks for my own stuff. Sony DSR-40 and 45. However, a present project headed for the web, needs me to master to the DSR-45. A couple of weeks ago I printed to video via Firewire; all that was fine, but I hated not being able to do a professional output at 1 hour. So I got a deal on a Kona LHe with breakout box. Three days ago I installed it, plugged in the harness, recognizes everything, but eventhough the RS-422 is plugged into the deck, when I print to video, the deck ignores the output. WORSE, I uncabled the Kona from the deck and reattached the Firewire and tried to output it again that way, NOW the Firewire no longer controls the deck at all. (On output. Capture seems fine.) I can crash record but that's going to make a mess with the TC. Not that I could ever get it to start at 1 hour via Firewire, but I have been able to time out the bars, blacks and slate to get it to start on an even minute. Now I can't control that. What the heck happened? Does the Kona card being in the computer, even when unattached, interfere with normal Firewire communication? Am I missing some basic configuration set up? Could be. The manual doesn't really cover specific decks. These guys have no money to rent a Digi or anything and have got a friend who's going to DaVinci color correct. I'd love to be able to at least put out these episodes through Firewire the same way I did last time, but now seems kaput. Any and all suggestions are welcome, please.

REPLY - I have no idea if you have installed the Kona LHe card properly. I have no idea if you have loaded in the correct drivers from the AJA website. I have no idea if you have gone into the AJA Control Panel, and set it up correctly. I suggest that you take your DSR-45, and with ONLY using the AJA Control Panel (do you know what that even is?) try putting an analog component video signal from the DSR-45 into the Kona LHe. Click on the input tab, and select analog component with analog audio. Do you see video on the output of the Kona LHe on your TV monitor (do you even have a TV monitor at your place to see this ?). If you see nothing, go to the CONTROL tab, and select INPUT PASSTHRU to see thru the Kona LHe. When you are done, get off input passthru, and select black or test pattern.

All outputs of the Kona LHe are always active, but if you have the wrong input selected, nothing will happen.

Now, once you get this working, start FCP, and go to EASY SETUPS and select something like AJA Kona Betacam 8 bit uncompressed. This will automatically select the correct RS422 control for you for the VTR. Go into Log and Capture, and see if you can see a video signal. Do you see it say VTR OK, or does it say "No Communication".

Let me know.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Paul Hartel
Re: KONA Newbie questions
on May 27, 2008 at 11:48:12 pm

Bob Zelin is really smart! I have the "old" MacPro, (because "Slot Utility" appeared after installation) - and I'm going to yank the card - well, not really "yank" - and re-seat it in slot three.

As for the second question, I'll let you know in a little bit.

Thanks Mr. Z. I'll let you know about the rest in a bit.

Return to posts index

Paul Hartel
Re: KONA Newbie questions for Bob Z
on May 28, 2008 at 12:41:58 am

Actually Bob, there is an immediate question involving the reseat of the Kona Card. When the Slot Utility opens up again after I've seated the card, which of the four lane options should I chose?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 28, 2008 at 2:42:52 am

This should sum it up for you and it also is stated in the readMe or release notes that come with the driver you downloaded from aja.com

http://www.aja.com/html/support_kona_rec_sys.htm

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul Hartel
on May 28, 2008 at 6:13:03 am

Thank you Jeremy. The link proved perfect. Actually I had some different documentation that came on the CD, not as clear. ph

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 28, 2008 at 2:00:27 pm

[Paul Hartel] "Actually I had some different documentation that came on the CD"

Be sure that you are NOT using the drivers from the CD and download the latest drivers for your version of Final Cut and your version of the Kona from AJA.com. The latest are 5.1 NDD

Return to posts index

Paul Hartel
on May 28, 2008 at 5:10:53 pm

Thanks. No, I do have all the latest drivers. They were downloaded from the website.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 29, 2008 at 2:41:56 am

Cool. Just checking as you said CD. The ReadMe and install notes should come downloaded with the latest drivers. It has pictures and explanations in there as well.

Cheers.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on May 30, 2008 at 3:47:37 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "The latest are 5.1 NDD"

If you use Shake, the 5.1 NDD driver is not compatible with Shake. There's another 5.1 driver that is compatible with Shake. If you're not a Shake user, use the NDD driver.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 30, 2008 at 4:02:15 pm

[Arnie Schlissel] "There's another 5.1 driver that is compatible with Shake. If you're not a Shake user, use the NDD driver."

Good call.

5.1 NDD is also for users of 10.5.2.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on May 30, 2008 at 4:07:56 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Good call. "

That's because I'm a Shake user! ;)

Arnie

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 30, 2008 at 5:03:35 pm

Does Shake use the Mac Desktop feature of the Kona?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on May 30, 2008 at 5:59:34 pm

Yes. The desktop output is used by Shake as it's video output. The NDD driver gives Shake no way to see your video monitor. Which conflicts with Color. So if you use both, you have to remember to turn the desktop on of off depending on which you need.

Arnie

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 30, 2008 at 6:04:04 pm

[Arnie Schlissel] "Yes. The desktop output is used by Shake as it's video output."

Good to know. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Paul Hartel
on May 30, 2008 at 7:13:59 pm

Hey guys,

General slot question.

I've got an "old" MacPro 2.66 Dual. So I've learned, thanks to Bob Z and others (and Kona support has been great) that the Lhe card should be seated in SLOT 3 of my Mac, not Slot 2. Kona advises me to choose Option 2 when the Slot Utility opens.

When I mistakenly but briefly had it in Slot 2, I did notice a degradation in my graphics card performance. I wasn't ever able to really test out the Kona, but obviously since neither card was running at full lane capacity, it would probably have suffered too.

Kona recommends that I choose Option 2 when I reinstall the card in slot 3. That will delegate 16 lanes for my graphics card, which is great, because I noticed a drag on FCP performance when I had the Kona in Slot 2 and split lanes between the cards. My QUESTION IS: Option 2 apparently only delegates 4 lanes to the Kona card. What kind of performance will I really be getting out of the card with so few lanes assigned. Is this a case of my eighteen month old MacPro being obsolete already? Jeez.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 30, 2008 at 7:27:21 pm

[Paul Hartel] "What kind of performance will I really be getting out of the card with so few lanes assigned"

Excellent. The Kona operates fine in a 4x lane. I have an older MacPro and it does everything a newer MacPro can do.

There's no loss of performance. Definitely set it up the way AJA recommends. You can follow the link I have posted earlier in this thread if there's any confusion.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul Hartel
on May 31, 2008 at 12:51:57 am

Thanks for the personal experience confirmation, Jeremy. Appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]