FORUMS: list search recent posts

Located problem: Livetype problems with K3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Ives
Located problem: Livetype problems with K3
on May 20, 2008 at 5:39:42 pm

I reported earlier that I had developed a problem with anything made in Livetype, since installing FCP 6.0.3 and QT 7.4.5 on our 2008 MacPro 8-core with the Kona 3. Basically, none of the LiveType files on the FCP timeline would show up... they'd appear as black. Several other people have reported similar problems.

Our particular problem now appears to be isolated in the Kona 3 drivers. If I switch off of the Kona 3 Easy setup and use the FCP supplied "DVCPRO HD - 720p24" Easy setup instead, then the Livetype problem goes away on the 2008 MacPro 8-core. All the Livetype files magically reappear on the timeline. This is 100% repeatable by switching back and forth between the stock FCP preset and the Kona 3 preset.

This project was originally created in FCP 6.0.2 & QT 7.4.1 using this same machine and the same Kona 3 where the Livetype files displayed fine. Looks like FCP 6.0.3/QT 7.4.5 changed something that the AJA folks need to address...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
Re: Located problem: Livetype problems with K3
on May 20, 2008 at 5:40:26 pm

Sorry... forgot to tell you that this problem appears with both the 5.1 and the 5.1NDD drivers...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 21, 2008 at 2:41:27 am

Be sure to write support at aja dot com

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on May 21, 2008 at 4:13:54 am

Nice job figuring this out!

Dajen Productions
Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 2.8 Octo - AJA Kona LHe
Huge 1.2 Raid
FCP 6.0.2-OS X 10.5.2-QT 7.4

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 21, 2008 at 2:07:50 pm

Thanks Jeremy, I spent time on the phone with them yesterday. We're making progress on this. As you know, they have the best tech support in the solar system.

Yesterday we determined that it isn't just AJA. A friend of mine with a 2007 Mac Pro Quad is experiencing the same thing since upgrading to FCP 6.0.3/QT 7.4.5. On the strength of our discovery, he removed his Black Magic Intensity Pro from his Mac Pro and now LiveType works properly on that machine as well.

Apple definitely changed something serious in the latest Pro Apps update. In addition to FCP 6.0.3, it included a new plug-in manager, which may be the culprit. But then again, it could all be caused by QT 7.4.5. At least we're making some progress. I just wish Apple would jump in and help... they have far more knowledge and resources.

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 21, 2008 at 2:15:40 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Thanks Jeremy, I spent time on the phone with them yesterday. We're making progress on this. As you know, they have the best tech support in the solar system... I just wish Apple would jump in and help... they have far more knowledge and resources. "

Mitch.
I would bet good money on the idea that if AJA is on this issue, Apple does know about what the problem is and they are working on it.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Hey Mitch-- Still having Livetype problems with K3?
on May 23, 2008 at 5:18:10 pm

[Mitch Ives] "I spent time on the phone with them yesterday. We're making progress on this. As you know, they have the best tech support in the solar system. "

hey Mitch

what was the outcome on your live type issue?

Is it my understanding that you got it working finally??

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 27, 2008 at 3:32:30 pm

No, but I learn more everyday. I discovered that Primatte is apparently incompatible with the Kona drivers. At first it appeared that if I didn't use Primatte, then I seemed to be able to use the Kona for presets and output. Today I discovered that this isn't true. I can experience the problem without using any third party plugins.

My workaround (to finish the project) was to use the standard 720p24 preset (non-AJA), and then render the entire project. Once it's rendered, I could use the Kona for output to the monitors. Naturally, if anything needs rendering, I have to reverse this process to make the changes... kind of like getting off of Devil's Island with a Roto-Rooter.

I'm trying to get AJA and Red Giant working together on this, since Primatte is too good to lose. I was assuming that the others that are experiencing the same problem have some kind of third party plugin that now operates strangely under FCP 6.0.3/QT 7.4.5, as not everyone has Primatte. Remember, none of this was an issue under 6.0.2/QT 7.4.1. I now know this isn't the case. You can create the problem without using any third party plugins.

Outside the Kona world, a friend had the same problem on a 2007 Intel Quad machine. After my experience, he removed his BlackMagic Intensity card and LT started working again... so this is a third-party hardware and FCP issue at heart...

Back to the LT and FCP 6.0.3/QT 7.4.5 problem. Try this:

1) Choose the Kona 3 720p 23.98 DVCPro HD preset.

2) Set your Video Playback (View menu) to 720p 59.94 8-bit so you can see it on the monitors

3) Pick a LiveType background and import it into FCP... place it in track 1. I used the one called Blue Black Wash, but anyone will do.

On my 8-core it does not display... the LiveType background displays completely black... in both the Canvas and on the external monitor, even with nothing else on the timeline! To get it to work, all I have to do is go to the View menu and change the Video Playback from your preset to "none", and the LT background appears in the Canvas. It's the Playback Video setting that is doing this, as it works the same even when using the stock FCP 720p 24 preset on the timeline. Anytime I use the Kona output, it appears...

Clearly, this would seem to be a Kona display problem.

Can you confirm this?

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 27, 2008 at 3:55:43 pm

[Mitch Ives] "1) Choose the Kona 3 720p 23.98 DVCPro HD preset. "

first problem- that preset was specifically designed to be used for cross conversion between 720 and 1080 at 23.98 -this setting intentionally does not generate pulldown to give you correct 23.98 cross conversions. --

Use the one labeled "Varicam" - for all 720 captures

"3) Pick a LiveType background and import it into FCP... place it in track 1. I used the one called Blue Black Wash, but anyone will do. "

are you talking about a direct import of the template or a created LT file?

the LT file works just fine on my quad intel

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 27, 2008 at 4:30:02 pm

[gary adcock] "first problem- that preset was specifically designed to be used for cross conversion between 720 and 1080 at 23.98 -this setting intentionally does not generate pulldown to give you correct 23.98 cross conversions. --

Use the one labeled "Varicam" - for all 720 captures "

Thanks for the info... interesting that AJA didn't mention that in our conversations...

[gary adcock] ""3) Pick a LiveType background and import it into FCP... place it in track 1. I used the one called Blue Black Wash, but anyone will do. "

are you talking about a direct import of the template or a created LT file? "

I actually choose it in LT, and applied it to the track in LT. I then saved the file with nothing but that background on the timeline. I then import and place the LT file on the timeline in FCP. Naturally, it will want to render...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]