FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red with kona lhe??

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Arvidsson
Red with kona lhe??
on May 14, 2008 at 8:29:40 am

Is it not possible for Kona Lhe to suppport the red format? I mean is the power not enough or why does they only do drivers for kona 3?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Red with kona lhe??
on May 14, 2008 at 11:44:48 am

[Joel Arvidsson] "Is it not possible for Kona Lhe to suppport the red format? I mean is the power not enough or why does they only do drivers for kona 3?"

The LHE does not support the frame geometry for 2K file sizes, or the ability to crop a 2K image down to a video space of 1080, so no, it would not be able to support the RED workflow.

Should you choose to convert to 1920 1080 prores or uncompressed from one of the RED apps - your LHE will work fine.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on May 14, 2008 at 5:07:10 pm

Another option is to put the 2:1 files in a 1920x1080 sequence. I've been able to play them out that way with RTextreme quality set to medium or low.

But the Kona 3 will be the way to go because you won't have to change the quality settings.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on May 14, 2008 at 7:58:15 pm

Ok, thanks. It's nice to know why its not possible, means alot.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 14, 2008 at 10:04:37 pm

[Russell Lasson] "Another option is to put the 2:1 files in a 1920x1080 sequence. I've been able to play them out that way with RTextreme quality set to medium or low. "

yeah but that card is not going to utilize the RED functionality like the K3 will,
and by setting the quality to low - is just painful on the eyes ( imho)

Do you really gain anything over just doing a direct conversion to ProRes rather than trying to hand hold FCP to do 2048 when the card really does not want to?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on May 15, 2008 at 5:19:16 pm

[gary adcock] "yeah but that card is not going to utilize the RED functionality like the K3 will,
and by setting the quality to low - is just painful on the eyes ( imho) "

I completely agree. It looks bad and I find it distracting.

[gary adcock] "Do you really gain anything over just doing a direct conversion to ProRes rather than trying to hand hold FCP to do 2048 when the card really does not want to? "

For people who don't have a kona 3, it depends. It's useful trick in some circumstances to be able to put 2048 in a 1920 sequence and play it out. But if I were actually editing creatively, I'd much rather convert the files to 1920 with wither a crop or letterbox for editing so I could edit in high quality without needing RTextreme.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 15, 2008 at 5:55:29 pm

[Russell Lasson] "t's useful trick in some circumstances to be able to put 2048 in a 1920 sequence and play it out. But if I were actually editing creatively, I'd much rather convert the files to 1920 with wither a crop or letterbox for editing so I could edit in high quality without needing RTextreme. "

thats kinda my point too.

Since you cannot output 2k from an LHE, why not just simplify the workflow from the start and generate your files as 1080 ProRes, then you can get benefits of high quality playback and the benefit of more functional RT in Final Cut.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

erik hansen
on May 17, 2008 at 9:47:13 pm

But it's not 2k then, and what about the quality loss when I do my film out... to youtube.

I keed, I keed.

- Erik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]