FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX & Kona LHe Sync Question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Miller
XDCAM EX & Kona LHe Sync Question
on May 12, 2008 at 11:27:51 pm

First post here, thank you in advance for your help.

I am monitoring HD footage using a Kona LHe card and an AJA Hi5 converter via HDMI to Pioneer Kuro 5010 1080p plasma, using Final Cut 6.0.3 No problem using this setup to monitor XDCAM EX 1080p24 or HDV 1080i clips. However, I experience roughly 1 second of audio delay when I monitor XDCAM EX 1080p30 footage.

Curiously, the sync problem is corrected when I open the Kona LHe control panel and under the TIMECODE tab under OUTPUT, turn TIME-CODE BURN IN to ON. Unfortunately, I can't leave the TIME-Code BURN IN on, or I will potentially experience permanent burn in on the plasma screen! Any suggestions to regain sync are greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jonah Walker
Re: XDCAM EX & Kona LHe Sync Question
on Jul 1, 2008 at 5:31:45 pm

I am also using XDCAM EX using a Kona LHe using a AJA HI5 SDI to HDMI converter on a 2x 2.66 Dual Core Xeon MacPro with 4GB of RAM and running off an external GRAID 5 drive Firewire 800 RAID (and it is the only ting on the firewire buss).

My material is 23.97, but with the HDMI converter I am playing back at 29.97, but am constantly losing sync. It is especially noticeable when I have something in something other than the first video track and I go back to the first video track, but it will go out of sync if I play for long enough.

I have talked to AJA, and they wanted me to switch to an internal SATA hard drive, but after reading your post I turned on the timecode, and now my sync is perfect, so this is an AJA issue for sure.

Return to posts index

Jonah Walker
Re: XDCAM EX & Kona LHe Sync Question
on Jul 2, 2008 at 12:49:40 pm

I talked to AJA a bit about this. It seems since my monitor using either HDMI or component uses on 29.97 input and not 23.98, so I have to have my video playback set to 29.97 which causes final cut to add the 3-2 pulldown instead of the Kona card, and something in the Sony Codec is making it screw up and lose sync. When I turn the timecode on, it forces the Kona to do the 3:2 and the problem is solved, except with burnin timecode, which is not acceptable. Their current solutions are to either get a converter box through them so I can convert a 23.98 signal to 29.97 outside of final cut or we are going to try a Tri Sync Black signal and see if that does anything (as SD black doesn't help).

This is a huge problem and really a huge hit for XDCAM EX for me. I really think it looks good, but with all these issues it may not be such a viable format.

Anyone try this on the BlackMagic Multibridge Pro? I am wondering if it would have this issue, since it has built in HDMI out, so I am wondering if it does the 23.98 - 29.97 conversion internally or does it use Final Cut?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]