FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LSe audio level problem?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Guessford
Kona LSe audio level problem?
on May 9, 2008 at 7:10:30 pm

We use the Kona Card LSe on a 4 x 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5 running FCP 5.1.4 - We can't get good audio levels on capture EVER??? Any ideas? Levels are great coming off the cameras and Sony VTR Deck. Capturing 525i29.97 422 10bit uncompressed - Kona LSe Control Panel Audio setup is on +24dBu FSD, Lock input Audio Gain to Unity is off. I've tried to adjust everything with no luck? Even System Prefs with no difference? Capture input is through a Sony VTR analog audio into the Kona LSe card.

Our fix is to always run it through SoundTrack and normalize every clip or if we have time run it through the protools HD rig - on large edits that is a real pain.

- Help Obi-Wan

Craig

Craig Guessford
FREEDOM HOUSE PRODUCTIONS
16367 East Auburn Hills Dr.
Parker, CO 80134
Office 303.840.0799
Cell 515.991.6403
Fax 303.840.9683
craig@freedomhouseproductions.com
freedomhouseproductions.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona LSe audio level problem?
on May 9, 2008 at 10:04:20 pm

simple fix - use an audio mixer on the front end of the Kona LSe (like everyone else in the world does). If you take the -10dB output of a camcorder or consumer Sony VTR (like a DSR-11), the audio levels will appear LOW in FCP. You use a mixer to boost up these levels to +4dBu. If you have PROFESSIONAL VTR's like Beta 1800's, etc., these (with XLR connectors) put out +4dBu signals, and you should be able to get matching audio levels in FCP with the Kona products (and every other brand of capture card). The problem of inputting analog audio without a mixer - even with "pro" VTR's is PEAK DISTORTION, because if the audio level goes hot (on a Beta VTR for example), you can't attenuate the signal without a mixer. Mixers are VERY VERY INEXPENSIVE these days (under $300), so there is no excuse not to use one. Modern VTR's (like Digi Beta, Beta SX, HD VTR's, etc.) use embedded audio, that brings in the audio signal via the video path (using the SDI inputs), so you don't have to deal with this.

It won't kill you to buy a mixer. I can only assume (since you did not put down details of your system), that your audio sources have RCA jacks on them, and you are using some sort of RCA to XLR converter to get these audio sources into the Kona LSe (just my assumption, based on a lack of info).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]