FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080p proper Monitoring

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Gillet
1080p proper Monitoring
on May 1, 2008 at 12:42:20 pm

I've got a client who's using a Kona LHe card and editing footage shot at 1080p with the new Sony Ex camera. The Sequence is set at 1080p 29.97 and he has a consumer grade Samsung Monitor connected via the HD component out of the card. He's just trying to monitor the signal.

I was informed of the issue when the client complained that the footage was out of sync. I took a look at it yesterday and he has had his video out setting set at 1080i. So that obviously isn't correct for his sequence. When I tried setting the video out to 1080p I discoverd the monitor will not handle that format.

Can this card convert the 1080p signal to either a 525i or 1080i signal so that this guy can view an image correctly on his consumer grade monitor?

Jason Gillet
Gillet Productions
Editor/Engineer

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: 1080p proper Monitoring
on May 1, 2008 at 2:48:41 pm

[Jason Gillet] "The Sequence is set at 1080p 29.97 and he has a consumer grade Samsung Monitor connected via the HD component out of the card. He's just trying to monitor the signal."

OK
make sure the setting is the correct 1080 29.97i setting < NOT the one with a "p">
Sony's format for 1080 is PsF where progressive content always plays out on a display as interlace, That is because the camera you are using only records data in this fashion .

The setting for the monitor needs to be interlace- as my guess is his display cannot handle progressive content (many consumer displays do not)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 1, 2008 at 3:22:51 pm

[Jason Gillet] "I was informed of the issue when the client complained that the footage was out of sync."

Everything that Gary says...and...

Is it only out of sync at that monitor? Or is it out of sync in FCP?

Return to posts index

jason Gillet
on May 1, 2008 at 8:59:07 pm

I believe I had tried that on location and what's happening is the footage is out of sync. Meaning that it's more than a few frames off from the sound. The Sound is being monitored via the kona card Analaog audio out.

I can have him try it again but I'm I think that's how they were trying to monitor the footage originally.

Jason Gillet
Gillet Productions
Editor/Engineer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Newmark
on May 4, 2008 at 1:35:00 pm

If the playback on the computer screen (in FCP) and the audio are synced, but the monitored image is not, then it's most likely just a latency issue. You can fix this in FCP under SYSTEM SETTINGS -> PLAYBACK CONTROL -> FRAME OFFSET. Simply adjust that until it's correct.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]