FORUMS: list search recent posts

follow up on LHE

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
follow up on LHE
on Apr 30, 2008 at 2:10:07 am

We shot a show using P2 camera shot at 720P 24 P frame rate. Unfortunately the end product will be played off of Beta SP. Wow. So we'll be down converting it in FCP. We're being told that the LHE won't do that and in order to down convert a 720 shoot (and others in the future) to standard definition we would need the Kona3. We're being told that only the Kona3 gives you a broadcast quality down conversion, not the LHe. Is that true? Has our card already gone obsolete?

Also, I recently had a shoot done with the EX1 camera. Shot in 1080P 30P rate. I plan on editing this as HD but outputting this to Beta SP or DVD as an SD project. Will I be able to do this with the LHE card on my personal system? Thanks much.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: follow up on LHE
on Apr 30, 2008 at 3:38:30 am

LHe will most definitely down convert, it just won't up convert.

To down convert, simply open your Kona control panel and right click on the output (SDI1, 2 or analog component) and choose secondary, then right click again and choose 525i.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 30, 2008 at 1:20:12 pm

[Greg Ball] "We're being told that the LHE won't do that and in order to down convert a 720 shoot (and others in the future) to standard definition we would need the Kona3. We're being told that only the Kona3 gives you a broadcast quality down conversion, not the LHe. Is that true? "

Totally inaccurate.

All Kona HD cards do realtime downconvert, and all of them do it from the same base hardware and software. The kona 3 offer UP-CONVERSION that is not on your LHE card.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 30, 2008 at 1:35:01 pm

[Greg Ball] "We're being told that the LHE won't do that and in order to down convert a 720 shoot (and others in the future) to standard definition we would need the Kona3. We're being told that only the Kona3 gives you a broadcast quality down conversion, not the LHe. Is that true?"

Completely and utterly false. The LHe can downconvert both 1080 and 720p to broadcast quality standard def in realtime.

The Kona 3 adds UP-conversion and CROSS-conversion.

Whoever told you that information definitely needs to read up on the products a bit better.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Apr 30, 2008 at 3:08:49 pm

Thanks everyone.

According to the literature on the Kona Website there are 2 columns it compares the two as:

Kona3 - Broadcast-quality hardware 10-bit up-/cross-/downconversion

LHE - 10-bit hardware HD to SD downconversion

What we're experiencing with the LHE is a muddy picture while down converting. We're being told that it's because the LHE down converts at a lower resolution. I'm having a tough time believing that

Walter I know that you edit lots of HD programming. I have the identical LHE card that came with my Media 100HDe system. I would find it hard to believe that I can't down convert to Beta SP.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 30, 2008 at 3:59:28 pm

Greg-

Please follow these steps.

Open your FCP project. Hit control-q and choose the proper HD (High definition) easy setup.

The important thing here is to leave FCP in an HD easy setup, not an SD easy setup.

In your case, it might be AHA Lhe 720p23.98 DVCPro HD Varicam.

Now, open the Kona control panel.

Right click (or control click) on the proper output. Let's say it's the analog output. So, right click on the analog output triangle and choose 'Secondary' from the drop down menu. Then right click again and choose '525i29.97'.

Go back to FCP and you material should be a great looking down convert in real time on your monitor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Apr 30, 2008 at 6:10:31 pm

Perfect! Thanks Jeremy. That solved our problem One other question, for some reason the audio is distorted and we don't know why. Would it have something to do the fact that the show was recorded at 24P and we're outputting to 30 frames per second? When we export a regular SD program (not down converting it, the audio is clean. Any thoughts?
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 30, 2008 at 6:34:14 pm

[Greg Ball] " for some reason the audio is distorted and we don't know why"

Distorted where? How is it hooked up and to what deck? Please give me some more info.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on May 1, 2008 at 3:42:12 pm

It's hooked up via SDI in and out of the junction box into our router and to our Digibeta Deck.
All sd outputs from FCp work fine.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 1, 2008 at 3:52:47 pm

Is the audio over modulated out of FCP? How do the levels look?

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on May 3, 2008 at 3:54:06 pm

No the audio was not over modulated. I'm still not sure we solved the problem. But due to a tight deadline and the fact that we were outputting to SD, we just down converted to SD and then reimported it into an SD timeline (where the audio works fine). So short-term problem solved...but I'm sure there's a setting in FCP that will fix our audio problem.

Thanks so much for your help and patience. It's greatly appreciated.

Greg

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 3, 2008 at 5:42:27 pm

I'd wager that you sync is not setup properly then. It's hard to tell what's happening with these types of problems if I am not right there in the room to hear exactly what you are hearing.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Emmet Reddy
on May 15, 2008 at 7:12:29 am

Hi again im a bit confused im working with the kona LHe. my video is XDCAM 720p25 but my secondary outputs on the kona card says 720p50? i want to print this to a DIGI BETA tape. i am connected SDI in and out my monitor is a hi res monitor but not HD capable.
So ive edited my xd cam footage on a time line using the easy set up, i have tried using the secondary output on the kona control panel I cant get it to work and we cant afford to rent this DIGI DECK for another day could someone spell it out for me please.
Ok another question If i am going from XDCAM to DIGIBETA am i upconverting or downconverting because i would have thought digibeta was superior to XDCAM.?
Help please Emmet

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 15, 2008 at 12:58:13 pm

Emmet-

Please follow these steps.

Open your FCP project. Hit control-q and choose the proper HD (High definition) easy setup.

The important thing here is to leave FCP in an HD easy setup, not an SD easy setup.

In your case, it might be AHA Lhe 720p25 HD XDCam.

Now, open the Kona control panel.

Right click (or control click) on the proper output. Let's say it's the SDI1 output. So, right click on the analog output triangle and choose 'Secondary' from the drop down menu. Then right click again and choose '625i25'.

Go back to FCP and you material should be a great looking down convert in real time on your monitor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Emmet Reddy
on May 15, 2008 at 7:14:15 am

Hi again im a bit confused im working with the kona LHe. my video is XDCAM 720p25 but my secondary outputs on the kona card says 720p50? i want to print this to a DIGI BETA tape. i am connected SDI in and out my monitor is a hi res monitor but not HD capable.
So ive edited my xd cam footage on a time line using the easy set up, i have tried using the secondary output on the kona control panel I cant get it to work and we cant afford to rent this DIGI DECK for another day could someone spell it out for me please.
Ok another question If i am going from XDCAM to DIGIBETA am i upconverting or downconverting because i would have thought digibeta was superior to XDCAM.?
Help please Emmet

Return to posts index

Emmet Reddy
on May 27, 2008 at 11:32:39 am

Hi Its me again you were explaining about converting my footage from xdcam using the secondary outputs on the kona control pane. i was selecting the xdcam ex 720p as my easy set up but i failed to notice that it didnt have the AJA kona before the xdcam ex 720p which i dont have in my options which would explain why it would not work.
do i need to update drivers or download codec?
Sorry i dont work on this kona system much?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 27, 2008 at 3:22:30 pm

Hey Emmet. I have never worked with XDCam, but my understanding is that it's basically HDV. SO I'd imagine you could select some sort of HDV 720p25 easy setup if one exists.

If not, then I'd suggest rendering your timeline to ProRes (which you can do in the render control tab of the sequence settings) and then simply select a 720p25 ProRes Varicam setting. After that, follow the steps I had outlined before.

As I said, this is just a guess, but I'd wager on it working. If that doesn't work, send an email to AJA support and they'll get you up and running in no time.

Write back if this doesn't make sense.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]