FORUMS: list search recent posts

recording to quicktime file via LHe

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
russ granger
recording to quicktime file via LHe
on Apr 28, 2008 at 1:44:34 am

Is it possible to record an HD/SD-SDI signal direct to a shareable QuickTime file with a Mac Pro 10.5.2/Kona LHe system?

Specifically I am capturing a live HD-SDI video stream (could switch to SD or composite) and need a blackboxed h.264 quicktime video at 640x480 immediately after the recording stops.

I'm getting a little dizzy with all these AJA source choices! Any tips in the right direction would be really appreciated.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: recording to quicktime file via LHe
on Apr 28, 2008 at 1:36:00 pm

[russ granger] "Specifically I am capturing a live HD-SDI video stream (could switch to SD or composite) and need a blackboxed h.264 quicktime video at 640x480 immediately after the recording stops."

nope...
you need to get Eye TV from El Gato or a dedicated h.264 card from someone like Stealth....

it also is a question of cost- the realtime tools are not cheap ( realtime encoding cards can be upwards of $5K) - if you are willing to wait - there are tools like the h.264 turbo that can handle conversion of a 720p24 HD file to an h.264 Ipod version in only about 20% longer than real time for under $100.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

russ granger
on Apr 29, 2008 at 3:25:20 am

since its a job i had to do whether it was possible or not, i got it working and reasonably well in software with the kona lhe.

i'm pretty disappointed that aja's vtr exchange program can _not_ do h.264 encoding (it will save a single frame in the output file). and if it did, it is restricted to native format dimensions (525i,625,720,1080).

quicktime pro can also record from the kona card to an h.264 file however and saves 640x480 (the only choice). the encoding options are not editable which makes it unsuitable to meet set specs.

quicktime broadcaster, however, gives good flexbility in specs and real-time encoding. by checking "Record to disk" and setting Network to "Manual Unicast" pointing to 127.0.0.1 you can save the file without streaming over the net ~ the quality is pretty mediocre at any target bitrate and the software itself is notoriously buggy.

wirecast 3.0 is probably the best bet as its a highly souped up quicktime broadcaster replacement. however, it has a huge problem with the kona card and is, as of 3.0.4, unusable. i've used previous versions on a windows encoder box and found the quality excellent. too pricey for this particular job but a great tool for any kind of quicktime webcasting/encoding.

frustratingly, i spent the day wondering why i had no audio in the kona card. had aja on the phone (helpful, friendly, but couldn't solve the problem). zapped pram a few times, no change ~ then i powered down, pulled and reseated the card, fired up, and its back on.

today's testing is wrapping down and we go live tomorrow. if you wanna know how it went email me.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 29, 2008 at 1:14:13 pm

[russ granger] "i'm pretty disappointed that aja's vtr exchange program can _not_ do h.264 encoding (it will save a single frame in the output file). and if it did, it is restricted to native format dimensions (525i,625,720,1080). "

SInce that is not a Standard format for editing so why does it need to capture H.264 and since AJA products conform to SMPTE specs of course they can only capture Video Frame Geometries.

Russ,
your Kona card is a tool for Post Production not for real time streaming of video content.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 29, 2008 at 1:29:15 pm

[russ granger] "i'm pretty disappointed that aja's vtr exchange program can _not_ do h.264 encoding (it will save a single frame in the output file). and if it did, it is restricted to native format dimensions (525i,625,720,1080)."

It's not an editing format, it's a final web delivery format or BluRay delivery format. I would not expect the VTR Exchange to capture to something that's not an editing format.

I'm pretty sure that if you look at the operations manual of the LHe it does not say anything about capturing to the H.264 codec.

[russ granger] "quicktime pro can also record from the kona card to an h.264 file however and saves 640x480 (the only choice). the encoding options are not editable which makes it unsuitable to meet set specs."

Again, this is not an editing codec. You capture to a proper editing codec and use Compressor to get to H.264.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

russ granger
on Apr 29, 2008 at 2:01:18 pm

of course LHe is an editing tool. my jobs generally center around making products do things they were not designed to do. more often than not, i can achieve good results or at least an unequivocal success with unlikely parts.

in this case a mac pro with an lhe card was the best i could round up in 24 hours. its pure gonzo webcasting.

in my limited understanding of software development, wouldn't the addition of h.264 or other codec capturing in VTRx just be a function of quicktime library calls and made possible with fast processors? the quicktime pro app does have a considerable amount of editing power with any type of qt file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]